How to count unique values in pivot table?
Count unique values in pivot table with helper column
In Excel, you need to create a helper column to identify the unique values, please do with the following steps:
1. In a new column besides the data, please enter this formula =IF(SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A2=A2)*($B$2:$B2=B2))>1,0,1) into cell C2, and then drag the fill handle over to the range cells that you want to apply this formula, and the unique values will be identified as below screenshot shown:
2. Now, you can create a pivot table. Select the data range including the helper column, then click Insert > PivotTable > PivotTable, see screenshot:
3. Then in the Create PivotTable dialog, choose a new worksheet or existing worksheet where you want to place the pivot table at, see screenshot:
4. Click OK, then drag the Class field to Row Labels box, and drag the Helper column field to Values box, and you will get the following pivot table which just counts the unique values.
Count unique values in pivot table with Value Field Settings in Excel 2013 and later versions
In Excel 2013 and later versions, a new Distinct Count function has been added in the pivot table, you can apply this feature to quickly and easily solve this task.
1. Select your data range and click Insert > PivotTable, in the Create PivotTable dialog box, choose a new worksheet or existing worksheet where you want to place the pivot table at, and check Add this data to the Data Model checkbox, see screenshot:
2. Then in the PivotTable Fields pane, drag the Class field to the Row box, and drag the Name field to the Values box, see screenshot:
3. And then click the Count of Name drop down list, choose Value Field Settings, see screenshot:
4. In the Value Field Settings dialog, click Summarize Values By tab, and then scroll to click Distinct Count option, see screenshot:
5. And then click OK, you will get the pivot table which count only the unique values.
- Note: If you check Add this data to the Data Model option in the Create PivotTable dialog box, the Calculated Field function will be disabled.
More relative PivotTable articles:
- Apply The Same Filter To Multiple Pivot Tables
- Sometimes, you may create several pivot tables based on the same data source, and now you filter one pivot table and want other pivot tables are filtered with the same way as well, that means, you want to change multiple pivot table filters at once in Excel. This article, I will talk about the usage of a new feature Slicer in Excel 2010 and later versions.
- Update Pivot Table Range In Excel
- In Excel, when you remove or add rows or columns in your data range, the relative pivot table does not update at the same time. Now this tutorial will tell you how to update the pivot table when rows or columns of the data table change.
- Hide Blank Rows In PivotTable In Excel
- As we know, pivot table is convenient for us to analyze the data in Excel, but sometimes, there are some blank contents appearing in the rows as below screenshot show. Now I will tell you how to hide these blank rows in pivot table in Excel.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!