How to convert cardinal number to ordinal number in Excel?
If you have a data range as follow screenshot shown, and you want to convert the cardinal number in the Rank Column to ordinal number, how can you do? Maybe you can change them one by one manually, but here I can introduce some tricks to solve the conversion quickly in Excel.
To convert cardinal number to ordinal number, there is no direct way to solve in Excel, but now I tell you a Defined Function to help you.
1. Press Alt and F11 keys at the same time to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window.
2. Then click Insert > Module and copy the follow VBA into the Module window.
VBA: Convert cardinal number to ordinal number.
Function Addth(pNumber As String) As String 'Updateby20141027 Select Case CLng(VBA.Right(pNumber, 1)) Case 1 Addth = pNumber & "st" Case 2 Addth = pNumber & "nd" Case 3 Addth = pNumber & "rd" Case Else Addth = pNumber & "th" End Select Select Case VBA.CLng(VBA.Right(pNumber, 2)) Case 11, 12, 13 Addth = pNumber & "th" End Select End Function
3. Save the code and close the window, and type this formula =Addth(C2) into a blank cell (cell C2 is the cell that you want to convert to ordinal number), then press Enter key. And if you need, you can drag the autofill handle to fill the range cells to apply the formula.
Now you can see the cardinal numbers are converted to ordinal numbers.
For some Excel green hands, the Defined Function may be somewhat complex, but do worry, if you have install Kutools for Excel, here is a Convert Number to Ordinal utility can help you easily convert cardinal numbers to ordinal number by one click!.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the numbers you want to convert to ordinal numbers. See screenshot:
2. Click Kutools > Content > Convert Number to Ordinal. See screenshot:
Then the selected numbers are converted to ordinal numbers.
Tip: This utility supports Undo (Ctrl + Z).
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!