How to auto number or renumber after filter in Excel?
As we all known, after filtering the data which has a list of series numbers, the row numbers on the worksheet will be displayed as the same as the original numbers, they are not renumbered automatically. But, sometimes, you want to renumber the rows as sequence in the filtered worksheet as following screenshots shown. And this article, I will talk about how to auto number or renumber after filter in Excel.
Auto number or fill sequence numbers after filter:
Kutools for Excel’s Insert Sequence Number utility can help you quickly insert unique sequential numbers into a range of cells or a filtered list, it also can insert sequence into merged cells as you need.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download and free trial Now!
In the filtered status, you can’t apply the Autofill handle to fill the number sequence, you just can fill them by typing the numbers one by one. But, this will be tedious and time consuming if there are a lot of cells needed renumbering. Here, I will introduce a VBA code to solve this task.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module window.
VBA code: Auto number or renumber after filter
Sub Renumbering() 'Updateby20141028 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type: = 8) Set WorkRng = WorkRng.Columns(1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible) xIndex = 1 For Each Rng In WorkRng Rng.Value = xIndex xIndex = xIndex + 1 Next End Sub
3. After pasting the code, please press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you select a range cells that you want to auto number or renumber the rows, see screenshot:
4. Then click OK, and your selected range cells have been renumbered sequentially as below screenshot shown:
Note: This code will destroy the original series row numbers when you cancel the filter function. So you need back up your data first.
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, with its powerful Insert Sequence number feature, you can insert sequence numbers into the filtered data only quickly and easily.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the cells that you want to renumber for the filtered data.
2. Then click Kutools > Insert > Insert Sequence number, see screenshot:
3. Then in the popped out Insert Sequence Number dialog box, click New button, see screenshot:
4. And then create the sequence list numbers as you need in the left bottom section, see screenshot:
5. After setting the sequence, click Add button, and the sequence item has been added into the dialog box, see screenshot:
6. And then click Fill Range, and the filtered data has been renumbered at once. See screenshot: