How to convert carriage return to comma in Excel?
Maybe you have a lot of cells which have the values are separated by carriage returns, and now you need to find all the carriage returns and replace them with commas or other characters as following screenshot shown. How could you convert all the carriage returns to commas or other characters in a worksheet quickly and easily?
The following simple formula can help you to replace the carriage returns to commas or other characters with ease.
1. Please type this formula into a blank cell besides your data: =SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10),",") (A1 indicates the cell which you want to replace the carriage return, and the comma between the quotation marks is the character that you want to use, you can change them as your need.), see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to apply this formula, and you will get the following result that the carriage returns are replaced by the commas.
The Find and Replace function also can help you to convert the carriage returns to commas at once. Please do as follows:
1. Select the data range that you want to convert the carriage returns.
2. Click Home > Find & Select > Replace or use the shortcuts Ctrl + H keys to open the Find and Replace dialog box, see screenshot:
3. In the Find and Replace dialog box, in the Find what field, please press Ctrl + J keys, and in the Replace with field, type the characters that you want, in this case, I will type the comma(,), see screenshot:
4. Then click Replace All button, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you how many replacements has been made. See screenshot:
5. And then click OK and close the Find and Replace dialog, all the carriage returns have been replaced with the commas.
If you are interested in VBA code, I can introduce you a code to solve this job.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Convert carriage returns to commas
Sub ReplaceCarriage() 'Update 20141023 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) For Each Rng In WorkRng Rng.Value = Replace(Rng.Value, Chr(10), ",") Next End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box pops out to remind you select the data range that you want to use. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK, and the carriage returns have been converted to commas immediately.
In the above code, you can change the comma "," within the Rng.Value = Replace(Rng.Value, Chr(10), ",") script to any other characters as you like.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!