How to insert a chart with data non-contiguous in Excel?
It is easy for us to create a chart with a range of data which is placed a single, tightly packed table. But, now, I have multiple columns data which are not next to each other in a worksheet as following screenshot shown, in this case, how could we create a chart with these non-contiguous columns in Excel?
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately. 60-day Unlimited Free Trial
To create a chart with the columns data not to each other, you can do with following steps:
1. Insert a blank chart by clicking Insert tab, and then choose one type chart you want, this example, I will use a column chart. See screenshot:
2. Then an empty chart will be inserted, select the blank chart, and click Design > Select Data , see screenshot:
Tip: You also can right click at the chart and choose Select Data from the context menu.
3. In the Select Data Source dialog, click Add button to add the information of data series that you want to display on the chart.
4. Then in the popped out Edit Series dialog box, select the series name and series values you need, see screenshot:
5. Click OK to return to the Select Data Source dialog, and go on clicking the Add button to add other column data series into the chart just as the step4.
6. After inserting the data series, you need to add the information for the Horizontal Axis Labels, in the Select Data Source dialog, click Edit on the Horizontal (Category) Axis Labels option, and then select the data range for the axis labels in the Axis Labels dialog, see screenshots:
7. And then click OK > OK to close the dialogs, and the chart with non-contiguous data has been created successfully.