How to make a histogram chart in Excel?
Histogram chart is usually used to show the distribution of the data as a statistical chart. If you want to know the detail steps about making a histogram chart in Excel, you can read this tutorial.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
In Excel, if you want to make a histogram, you need to do two steps first.
1. Specify the bins of the data. The scale of the bins is limited in the scale of the data. For example, I have a list of grade, and the scale of the grade is from 0 to 100, and now I specify my bins as shown as below screenshot:
Tip: The bins are usually specified as consecutive, non-overlapping intervals of a variable. The bins (intervals) must be adjacent, and usually equal size.
2. Then you need to add the Data Analysis add-in. Click File > Options (or click the Office Button at the upper-left corner > Excel Options in Excel 2007); then in the Excel Options dialog, click Add-Ins tab, then click Go in the right section. See screenshot:
3. In the Add-Ins dialog, check Analysis ToolPak option, and click OK to close the dialog.
Note: In Excel 2007, it will pop up a dialog box telling you have not installed the add-in. Just click the Yes button.
4. Go to Data tab and click Data Analysis function. Then in the popped out dialog, select Histogram and click OK. See screenshots:
5. Then in Histogram dialog, select the data range and the bin range, and specify the output place, and check all the last three options. See the below screen shot:
6. Click OK. Now you can see a histogram chart and a report are inserted and shown as below:
- Create dot plot in Excel
- Create bi-directional bar chart
- Create radar chart/spider chart
- Create doughnut chart in Excel