How to sort by file extension in Excel?
If you have a list of file names which including different extensions, and now, you want to sort the file names by extension. Do you have any good ideas to solve this task in a worksheet?
In Excel, there is no direct way for you to sort the file extension, but you can apply a helper column to extract the extensions first, and then sort the rows based on that helper column. Please do as follows:
1. Enter this formula =REPLACE(RIGHT(A2,5),1,SEARCH(".",RIGHT(A2,5)),"") into a blank cell next to your data, see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to contains this formula, and all the extensions have been extracted into column B, see screenshot:
3. And then select the extracted extensions in helper column B, then click Data > Sort, and check Expand the selection in the popped out Sort Warning dialog, see screenshots:
4. In the Sort dialog box, select the column name which you want to sort by under the Column section, and then choose Values from the Sort On section, at last choose the sort order you need.
Note: if your data has headers, please check My data has headers option.
5. After finishing the setting in the Sort dialog, click OK to close the dialog, and now, you can see the file names have been sorted by the extensions as following screenshot shown:
6. Finally, you can delete the data in the helper column as you want.
Tip: In the above formula, A2 indicates the cell you want to extract the extension from.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!