Is it possible for us to sort the text content by case sensitive which means to sort the upper case first, proper case followed and last the lower case or vice versa? For example, I have a list of names which mixed with upper case, proper case and lower case as following screenshot shown, is there any good methods to sort the list by case sensitive in Excel?
In Excel, you can apply a formula to identify the case of the text, and then sort them by your need. Please do with following steps:
1. Enter the following formula into a blank cell next to the data, cell B2, in this example:
=IF(EXACT(A2,UPPER(A2)),"Upper Case",IF(EXACT(A2,LOWER(A2)),"Lower Case",IF(EXACT(A2,PROPER(A2)),"Proper Case","Other"))), see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the data range that you want to apply this formula, and the text case has been displayed as following screenshot shown:
3. And next, you can sort the data based on Column B. Select the data range A1:B11, and click Data > Sort, in the Sort dialog box, specify the column name which you want to sort by under Column section, and choose Values from the Sort On section, finally, select the sort order as you want, see screenshot:
Note: If your data has headers, please check My data has headers option.
4. Then click OK to close the dialog, and your cell content has been sorted by the text case which lower case first then proper case followed and last the uppercase if you sort them by A to Z, see screenshot:
1. After finishing sort the data you need, you can delete the cell content in the helper column B as you like.
2. If you want to sort the rows to put the upper case first then proper case and last lower case, you just need to choose the sort order as Z to A in the Sort dialog box.
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.