How to sort rows by upper lower case in Excel?
Is it possible for us to sort the text content by case sensitive which means to sort the upper case first, proper case followed and last the lower case or vice versa? For example, I have a list of names which mixed with upper case, proper case and lower case as following screenshot shown, is there any good methods to sort the list by case sensitive in Excel?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2021 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
In Excel, you can apply a formula to identify the case of the text, and then sort them by your need. Please do with following steps:
1. Enter the following formula into a blank cell next to the data, cell B2, in this example:
=IF(EXACT(A2,UPPER(A2)),"Upper Case",IF(EXACT(A2,LOWER(A2)),"Lower Case",IF(EXACT(A2,PROPER(A2)),"Proper Case","Other"))), see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle over to the data range that you want to apply this formula, and the text case has been displayed as following screenshot shown:
3. And next, you can sort the data based on Column B. Select the data range A1:B11, and click Data > Sort, in the Sort dialog box, specify the column name which you want to sort by under Column section, and choose Values from the Sort On section, finally, select the sort order as you want, see screenshot:
Note: If your data has headers, please check My data has headers option.
4. Then click OK to close the dialog, and your cell content has been sorted by the text case which lower case first then proper case followed and last the uppercase if you sort them by A to Z, see screenshot:
1. After finishing sort the data you need, you can delete the cell content in the helper column B as you like.
2. If you want to sort the rows to put the upper case first then proper case and last lower case, you just need to choose the sort order as Z to A in the Sort dialog box.