How to sort sheets by a cell value in Excel?
When we use an Excel file, we always sort the worksheets by alphabetical, numbers or tab colors, but have you ever tried to sort the sheet tabs by a specific cell value?
Supposing you have a workbook with dozens of worksheets, in each worksheet, cell A1 has a specific value, and now you need to sort all the worksheets within this workbook based on the value of cell A1 in each worksheet ascendingly. With this article, you will get the solution.
To sort all worksheets based on a cell value in Excel, there is no direct way for us, but the following VBA code may do you a favor.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Sort all sheets based on a cell value
Sub SortWksByCell() 'Update 20141127 Dim WorkRng As Range Dim WorkAddress As String On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range (Single)", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) WorkAddress = WorkRng.Address Application.ScreenUpdating = False For i = 1 To Application.Worksheets.Count For j = i To Application.Worksheets.Count If VBA.UCase(Application.Worksheets(j).Range(WorkAddress)) < VBA.UCase(Application.Worksheets(i).Range(WorkAddress)) Then Application.Worksheets(j).Move Before:=Application.Worksheets(i) End If Next Next Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. After pasting the code, then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you select a cell which you want to sort the sheets based on, see screenshot:
4. And now, you can see all the worksheets have been sorted according to the text value of cell A1 in every worksheet ascendingly.
1. If there are both numbers and text strings in your selected cells, the sheets contains numbers will be sorted before the text strings sheets.
2. If there is blank in one of the cell A1, the relative worksheet will be sorted in the front of all sheets.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!