How to sort sheets by a cell value in Excel?
When we use an Excel file, we always sort the worksheets by alphabetical, numbers or tab colors, but have you ever tried to sort the sheet tabs by a specific cell value?
Supposing you have a workbook with dozens of worksheets, in each worksheet, cell A1 has a specific value, and now you need to sort all the worksheets within this workbook based on the value of cell A1 in each worksheet ascendingly. With this article, you will get the solution.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
To sort all worksheets based on a cell value in Excel, there is no direct way for us, but the following VBA code may do you a favor.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Sort all sheets based on a cell value
Sub SortWksByCell() 'Update 20141127 Dim WorkRng As Range Dim WorkAddress As String On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range (Single)", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) WorkAddress = WorkRng.Address Application.ScreenUpdating = False For i = 1 To Application.Worksheets.Count For j = i To Application.Worksheets.Count If VBA.UCase(Application.Worksheets(j).Range(WorkAddress)) < VBA.UCase(Application.Worksheets(i).Range(WorkAddress)) Then Application.Worksheets(j).Move Before:=Application.Worksheets(i) End If Next Next Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. After pasting the code, then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you select a cell which you want to sort the sheets based on, see screenshot:
4. And now, you can see all the worksheets have been sorted according to the text value of cell A1 in every worksheet ascendingly.
1. If there are both numbers and text strings in your selected cells, the sheets contains numbers will be sorted before the text strings sheets.
2. If there is blank in one of the cell A1, the relative worksheet will be sorted in the front of all sheets.