If you have a time work, and earn your money based on actual working hours, how to record your work hours and calculate earned money? Of course there are many professional tools for you, but here I will guide you to create a billable hour table in Excel, and save it as an Excel template easily.
To create a billable hour table and save as an Excel template, you can do as following:
Step 1: Prepare your table as the following screen shot show, and input your data.
Step 2: Calculate the working hours and overtime with formulas:
(1) In Cell F2 enter =IF((E2-D2)*24>8,8,(E2-D2)*24), and drag the Fill Handle down to the range you need. In our case, we apply the formula into Range F2: F7.
(2) In Cell H2 enter =IF((E2-D2)*24>8,(E2-D2)*24-8,0), and drag the Fill Handle down to the range you need. In our case, drag to the Range H2:H7.
Note: We normally work for 8 hours per day. If your working hours are not 8 hours per day, please change the 8 to the number of your working hours in both formulas.
Step 3: Calculate the total money of every day: In Cell J2 enter =F2*G2+H2*I2, and drag the Fill Handle down to the range you need (in our case, drag to the Range J2:J7.)
Step 4: Get the subtotal of working hours, overtime, and earned money:
(1) In Cell F8 enter =SUM(F2:F7) and press the Enter key.
(2) In Cell H8 enter =SUM(H2:H7) and press the Enter key.
(3) In Cell J8 enter =SUM(J2:J7) and press the Enter key.
Step 5: Calculate the total money of each project or client: In Cell B11 enter =SUMIF(A$2:A$7,A11, J$2:J$7), and then drag the Fill Handle to the Range your need (in our case drag to the Range B12:B13).
Step 6: Click the File > Save > Computer > Browse in Excel 2013, or click the File/ Office button > Save in Excel 2007 and 2010.
Step 7: In the coming Save As dialog box, enter a name for this workbook in the File name box, and click the Save as type box and select Excel Template (*.xltx) from drop down list, at last click the Save button.
Save range as mini template (AutoText entry, remaining cell formats and formulas) for reusing in future
Normally Microsoft Excel saves the whole workbook as a personal template. But, sometimes you may just need to reuse a certain selection frequently. Comparing to save the entire workbook as template, Kutools for Excel provides a cute workaround of AutoText utility to save the selected range as an AutoText entry, which can remain the cell formats and formulas in the range. And then you will reuse this range with just one click.
Full Feature Free Trial
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!