How to create a control chart in Excel?
Control chart, also known as Shewhart chart or process-behavior chart, is widely used to determine if a manufacturing or business process is in a state of statistical control. This tutorial introduces the detailed steps about creating a control chart in Excel.
Create a control chart in Excel
Create a control chart in Excel
For example, you have below base data needed to create a control chart in Excel
Now please follow the steps to finish a control chart.
1. Firstly, you need to calculate the mean (average) and standard deviation. Select a blank cell next to your base data, and type this formula =AVERAGE(B2:B32), press Enter key and then in the below cell, type this formula =STDEV.S(B2:B32), press Enter key.
Note: In Excel 2007, please enter this formula =STDEV(B2:B32) to calculate the standard Deviation. In the above formulas, B2: B32 is the base data range.
2. Then go to the Control Line column, and in the first cell below the header, cell C2, type this formula =$H$1 (cell $H$1 is the average result), and drag the fill handle to fill the data range you need.
3. In the first cell below Up Control Line column, cell D2, type this formula =$H$1+($H$2*3) ($H$1 is the average result and $H$2 is the standard deviation result), then drag the auto fill handle to the range you need.
4. Under Below Control Line column, type =$H$1-($H$2*3) ($H$1 is the average result and $H$2 is the standard deviation result), then drag the auto fill handle to the range you need.
Now you can insert a chart.
5. Select Date and Sample Measure columns and click Insert > Line > Line to insert a line chart. See screenshot:
6. Then right click on the line chart and click Select Data from context menu.
7. In the Select Data Source dialog, click Add button, then in the Edit Series dialog, select Control Line as the Series Name, and select the relative data into the Series values text box.
8. Click OK, then repeat step 7 to add Up Control Line and Lower Control Line as the series in the Legend Entries (Series) section.
9. Click OK to exit the dialog, now a control chart is created.
Advanced Charts Tool
|The Charts Tool in Kutools for Excel provides some usually used but difficult creating charts, which only need to click click click, a standard chart has been created. More and more charts are going to included in Charts Tool.. Click for full-featured 30 days free trial!|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
- Create flowchart in Excel
- Create thermometer chart in Excel
- Create smiley face chart in Excel
- Create milestone chart in Excel
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office / Excel 2007-2021 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features 30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!