How to count unique values excluding duplicates in Excel?
For example, you have a list of values with duplicates among as the left screenshot shows.
For many count unique values formula, the total count of the unique values based on above data will be 5, because it includes a value of the duplicates. But what if totally excluding the duplicate values in the selected range in Excel? After totally excluding the duplicate values, the count of the unique values based on above data will be 4. In this article, we will show you how to count unique values excluding duplicates in Excel.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
For counting unique values totally excluding duplicates with formula method, please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell for locating the result.
2. Copy and paste formula =SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(MATCH(A2:A7,A2:A7,0),ROW(A2:A7)-ROW(A2)+1)=1,1)) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
Then you will see the result show in the selected cell without any duplicate values.
Note: In the above formula, A2:A7 is the data range which you want to count the unique values. After copying and pasting the formula, you need to replace the cell range with the certain cell range in your worksheet.
This section is going to show you how to easily count and select unique values excluding duplicates without using formulas.
1. After installing Kutools for Excel, please click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells.
2. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, select the cell range in the Select cells in this range section, choose the Unique values only option in Rule section, and then click the Ok button. See screenshot:
Note: If you want to highlight these unique cells, please check the Fill backcolor box, and then specify a highlighted color as you need.
3. Then a dialog box will pop up to show you the total number of the unique values only, meanwhile, all these unique values are selected automatically. Click the OK button.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!
- How to count cell numbers between two values or dates in Excel?
- How to count number of cells with text or number in Excel?
- How to count cells with specific text in Excel?
- How to count number or Yes or No answer in Excel?