How to make drop down list allowing free text (manually entry) in Excel?
For the cells with created data validation drop down lists, you are not allowed to enter some different text beyond the list values, when you typing in words which do not include in the list value, the error dialog box will pop up. See screenshot:
In some cases, you may need to enter some certain words into the cells as you need. To avoid popping up the error dialog box, you need to disable the Error Alert function for the drop down list.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
Please do as follows to make drop down list allowing free text.
1. Select the cells which contain the drop down lists you have already created, and then click Data > Data Validation. See screenshot:
2. In the Data Validation dialog box, uncheck the Show error alert after invalid data is entered box under Error Alert tab, then click the OK button.
Then you can enter free text into the cells containing drop down lists without getting the error alert.
- How to auto populate other cells when selecting values in Excel drop down list?
- How to autocomplete when typing in Excel drop down list?
- How to create a searchable drop down list in Excel?
- How to create a drop down list calendar in Excel?
- How to create drop down list with multiple selections or values in Excel?