How to make drop down list allowing free text (manually entry) in Excel?
For the cells with created data validation drop down lists, you are not allowed to enter some different text beyond the list values, when you typing in words which do not include in the list value, the error dialog box will pop up. See screenshot:
In some cases, you may need to enter some certain words into the cells as you need. To avoid popping up the error dialog box, you need to disable the Error Alert function for the drop down list.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Please do as follows to make drop down list allowing free text.
1. Select the cells which contain the drop down lists you have already created, and then click Data > Data Validation. See screenshot:
2. In the Data Validation dialog box, uncheck the Show error alert after invalid data is entered box under Error Alert tab, then click the OK button.
Then you can enter free text into the cells containing drop down lists without getting the error alert.
- How to auto populate other cells when selecting values in Excel drop down list?
- How to autocomplete when typing in Excel drop down list?
- How to create a searchable drop down list in Excel?
- How to create a drop down list calendar in Excel?
- How to create drop down list with multiple selections or values in Excel?