How to keep formula cell reference constant in Excel?
When you use relative cell reference in a formula, it will automatically adjust when you use the Fill Handle to apply it to a different location or copy and paste it to another cells. See below screenshot shows.
In many cases, you would like the cell reference staying constant rather than adjusting automatically. In this tutorial, we will show you how to keep formula cell reference constant in Excel.
Method B: Easily keep formula cell reference constant with several clicks only
To keep cell reference constant in formula, you just need to add the $ symbol to the cell reference with pressing the F4 key. Please do as follows.
1. Select the cell with the formula you want to make it constant.
2. In the Formula Bar, put the cursor in the cell which you want to make it constant, then press the F4 key.
In this case, I don’t want the cell reference A1 to be adjusted with the formula moving, so I put the cursor on A1 in the formula, and then press F4. See screenshot:
Then you can see the cell reference A1 is constant in the formula.
Here highly recommend the Kutools for Excel's Convert Refers utility. This feature helps you easily convert all formula references in bulk in a selected range or multiple ranges to a specific type of formula reference. Such as convert relative to absolute, absolute to relative and so on.
Download Kutools for Excel Now! (30-day free trail)
Let's see how to use this feature to easily keep formula cell reference constant in Excel.
1. After installing Kutools for Excel, please click Kutools > More > Convert Refers to activate the Convert Formula References feature.
2. When the Convert Formula References dialog box pops up, please configure as follows.
- Select a range or multiple ranges (hold on the Ctrl key to select multiple ranges one by one) you want to make the references constant;
- Choose the To absolute option;
- Click the OK button.
Then all the relative cell references in selected range are changed to constant references immediately.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Excel Skills: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day! (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)