How to count if cell does not contain text in Excel?
For example, you have a long list of data in Excel, do you know how to count the number of cells which don't contain a specific text string? In this article, I will introduce a formula to count if cells does not contain specific text string in Excel.
Count if cell does not contain certain text string with formula
Count if cells don't contain certain text with Kutools for Excel
Count and select/highlight if cells don't contain text of another column in Excel
Kutools for Excel’s Select Same & Different Cells utility can help you quickly compare two columns, and then select or highlight the same/different cells between two columns, or select/highlight the entire rows based on the same/different cells between two columns.
Full Feature Free Trial 60-day!
We can apply the COUNTIF function to figure out the number of cells which don't contain a specific text string in a specific range in Excel.
The basic form of the formula is shown as: =COUNTIF(Range,"<>*txt*")
For example, we want to count cells not containing the text of "count" in the Range A1:A40. In a blank cell enter the formula =COUNTIF(A1:A40,"<>*count*") and then press the Enter key.
Then you will get the number of cells which don't contain the specific text of "count" in the specific Range A1:A40.
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, its Select Specific Cells utility can help you select all kinds of cells/rows/columns easily, such as cells containing certain text string, cells greater/less than a certain value, etc. Here I will guide you to count cells if not containing certain text string with this utility.
Kutools for Excel - Combines more than 300 Advanced Functions and Tools for Microsoft Excel
1. Click the Kutools > Select > Select Special Cells.
2. In the opening Select Specific Cells dialog box, please configure the setting as follows:
(1) Specify the range you will count cells without certain text string into the Select Cells in this range box;
(2) Specify one selection type based on your needs, such as Cell or Entire row.
(3) Click the Specific type box, and select Does not contain from the drop down list;
(4) Type the text string you will count by into besides box.
3. Click the Ok button. Then another dialog box comes out and shows you how many cells have been selected.
In our case, the “19” indicates the cells which don’t contain the certain text string of “Count”. See below screenshot:
Kutools for Excel - Includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Full feature free trial 60-day, no credit card required! Get it now!
In this Video, the Kutools tab and the Kutools Plus tab are added by Kutools for Excel. If need it, please click here to have a 60-day free trial without limitation!
Recommended Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools For Excel brings
300+ cool and powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) for
1500+ work scenarios, helps you solve
82% Excel problems.
- Deal with all complicated tasks in seconds, help to enhance your work ability, get success from the fierce competition, and never worry about being fired.
- Save a lot of work time, leave much time for you to love and care the family and enjoy a comfortable life now.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands, and give you a healthy body.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes, and get admiring glance from your colleagues or friends.
- No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes, have a relaxing and pleasant mind, give you a thrill you've never had before.
- Spend only $39, but worth than $4000 training of others. Being used by 110,000 elites and 300+ well-known companies.
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years. Buy once, use forever.
- Change the way you work now, and give you a better life immediately!
- Increases your productivity by
50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Open and create documents in new tabs of same window, rather than in new windows.
- Help you work faster and easily stand out from the crowd! One second to switch between dozens of open documents!