How to open Excel workbooks in new windows (open multiple windows)?
In this tutorial, we will show you how to open Excel workbooks in different windows steps by steps.
Office Tab helps to adding tabbed interface for Office. And you can also open a specified workbook in a new window with its Open in New Window function as below screenshot shown. Download the full feature 30-day free trail of Office Tab now!
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
For the usage of lowest versions of Excel, with holding the Shift key and clicking the Excel icon in the Taskbar, you can open Excel workbooks in multiple windows.
1. Firstly you need to open a workbook in advance, and then hold the Shift key on the keyboard.
2. Click the Excel icon in the Taskbar. See screenshot:
Then a new blank workbook is opened. If you need to edit the new opened workbook, just edit and save it. Otherwise, you can open another workbook you have created before in this new workbook window.
3. Click File (Office button) > Open from your new created workbook just now, In the Open dialog box, find and select the workbook and then click the Open button.
Then you can see the workbooks are opened in two separate Excel windows. You can repeat the above steps to open more Excel windows.
Besides the above method, you can open Excel workbooks in new windows with Start menu. Please do as follows.
1. Click the Start button to show the menu. Type Excel in the Search box, then click Microsoft Excel in the Programs section. See screenshot:
2. When a new blank workbook opened, please click File (Office button) > Open, In the Open dialog box, find and select the workbook you want to open and then click the Open button.
3. To open multiple workbooks you want, you just need to repeat the above steps one by one.
The last method for opening Excel workbooks in new window is to create a shortcut. Please do as follows.
1. Open the Office folder in your computer with following paths.
In Excel 2010: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 14
In Excel 2007: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
2. In the opened Office folder, find the EXCEL icon, right click it and then select Create shortcut from the right-clicking menu. See screenshot:
3. Then a Shortcut prompt box pops up, click the Yes button.
4. Then an Excel shortcut is placed on the desktop. Double click it, and a new Excel window will be opened. Then you can click File (Office button) > Open to open the workbook that you need.
5. If you need to open multiple workbooks in new windows, you should repeat step 4 to open them one by one.
Note: For Excel 2013, the workbooks are opened in different windows by default.
In this section, I will show you a handy applications – Office Tab. With the Open In New Window feature of Office Tab, open workbooks in new windows is not a problem anymore.
1. After installing Office Tab, open the workbooks you want. Then you will see all workbooks are opened in an Excel window as tabbed browsing status.
2. If you want to open a specific workbook in a new window, please right click this workbook tab, and then click Open In New Window in the list. See screenshot:
Then the selected workbook is opened in a new window as below screenshot shown: