How to rank range numbers uniquely without duplicates in Excel?
In Microsoft Excel, the normal rank function gives duplicate numbers the same rank. For example, if the number 100 appears twice in the selected range, and the first number 100 takes the rank of 1, the last number 100 will also take the rank of 1, and this will skip some numbers. But, sometimes, you need to rank these values uniquely as following screenshots shown. For more details of the unique ranking, please do as following tutorial shown step by step.
In this section, we will show you how to rank range numbers uniquely in descending order.
Take the data of below screenshot as example, you can see there are multiple duplicate numbers among the range A2:A11.
1. Select the B2, copy and paste the formula =RANK(A2,$A$2:$A$11,0)+COUNTIF($A$2:A2,A2)-1 into the Formula Bar, then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
2. Then the ranking number is showing in the cell B2. Select the cell B2 and put the cursor on its lower-right corner, when a small black cross showing, drag it down to cell B11. Then the unique ranking is successful. See screenshot:
If you want to rank range numbers uniquely in ascending order, please do as follows.
1. Select cell B2, copy and paste formula =RANK(A2,$A$2:$A$11,1)+COUNTIF($A$2:A2,A2)-1 into the Formula Bar, then press the Enter key. Then the first ranking number is displayed in cell B2.
2. Select the cell B2, drag the fill handle down to the cell B11, then the unique ranking is finished.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!