How to Countif filtered data/list with criteria in Excel?
You may notice that no matter you have filtered your table or not, the COUNTIF function will ignore the filtering and return a fixed value. In some cases, you are required to count filtered data with a specific criteria, so how to get it done? In this article, I will introduce a couple of ways to Countif filtered data/list in Excel quickly.
Countif filtered data with criteria by adding a help column in Excel
In this article, I will take the following table as example. Here, I have filtered out Julie and Nicole in the Salesman column.
This method will guide you to add an extra help column, and then you can apply the COUNTIFS function to count the filtered data in Excel. (Note: This method requires you have filtered your original table before following steps.)
1. Find a blank cell besides the original filtered table, says Cell G2, enter =IF(B2="Pear",1,""), and then drag the Fill Handle to the range you need. (Note: In the formula of =IF(B2="Pear",1,""), B2 is the cell you will count, and the "Pear" is the criteria you will count by.)
Now a help column is added besides original filtered table. The "1" indicates it's pear in the Column B, while blank hints it's not pear in Column B.
2. Find a blank cell and enter the formula =COUNTIFS(B2:B18,"Pear",G2:G18,"1"), and press the Enter key. (Note: In the formula of =COUNTIFS(B2:B18,"Pear",G2:G18,"1"), the B2:B18 and G2:G18 are ranges you will count, and "Pear" and "1" are criteria you will count by.)
Now you will get the count number at once. Please note that the count number will not change if you disable filtering or change filtering.
Sum/Count/Average visible cells only in a specified range with ignoring hidden or filtered cells/rows/columns
The normally SUM/Count/Average function will count all cells in the specified range on matter cells are hidden/filtered or not. While the Subtotal function can only sum/count/average with ignoring hidden rows. However, Kutools for Excel SUMVISIBLE/COUNTVISIBLE/AVERAGEVISIBLE functions will easily calculate the specified range with ignoring any hidden cells, rows, or columns. Full Feature Free Trial 30-day!
Countif filtered data with criteria by Excel functions
If you want the count number changes as the filter changes, you can apply the SUMPRODUCT functions in Excel as following:
In a blank cell enter the formula =SUMPRODUCT(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(B2:B18,ROW(B2:B18)-MIN(ROW(B2:B18)),,1)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Pear",B2:B18))+0), and press the Enter key.
| ||Formula is too complicated to remember? Save the formula as an Auto Text entry for reusing with only one click in future! |
Read more… Free trial
(1) In the above formula, B2:B18 is the range you will count, and "Pear" is the criteria you will count by.
(2) The returning value will change when you disable filtering or filtering changes.
Easily split a range to multiple sheets based on criteria in a column in Excel
Comparing to complex array formulas, it may be much easier to save all filtered records into a new worksheet, and then apply the Count function to count the filtered data range or list.
Kutools for Excel’s Split Data utility can help Excel users easily split a range to multiple worksheets based on criteria in one column of original range. Full Feature Free Trial 30-day!
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!