How to enter/display text or message if cells are blank in Excel?
Sometimes, there are some blank cells in your worksheet. You may want to indicate yourself or readers of these blank cells with displaying text or messages in them. It's easy to find one blank cell and enter displaying text into it, but what if multiple blank cells? In this article, I will introduce several ways to enter or display text/message if cells are blank in Excel.
- Enter or display text if cells are blank with Go To Special command
- Enter or display text if cells are blank with IF function
- Enter or display text if cells are blank with Kutools for Excel
This method will show how to find out and select all blank cells in a specific range, and then batch enter a specific text into these cells quickly.
1. Select the range in which you will enter or display text if cells are blank.
2. Click the Home > Find & Select > Go to Special.
3. In the opening Go To Special dialog box, only check the Blanks option, and click the OK button.
Now all blank cells in the specific range are selected at once.
4. Type the text you want to display in blank cell, and then press the Ctrl + Enter keys simultaneously.
Then all blank cells in the specific range display the specific text.
If you can copy the specific range into other place in Excel, we can apply the IF function to enter or display text if cells are blank in the specific range easily.
Select a blank cell, enter the formula =IF(A1="","NO DATA",A1), and then drag the Fill Handle to the range you need. See the following screen shot:
Note: In the formula of =IF(A1="","NO DATA",A1), A1 is the first cell of your original range, and "NO DATA" is the specific text/message you want to display in blank cells.
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can apply its Fill Blank Cells feature to enter or display text if cells are blank in a specific range in Excel.
1. Select the range in which you want to enter or display text if cells are blank.
2. Click the Kutools > Insert Tools > Fill Blank Cells.
3. In the popping up Fill Blank Cells dialog box, check the Fixed value option, in the Filled value box enter the specific text you want to display in blank cells, and click the Ok button. See screenshot above:
Then all blank cells in the specific range are displaying the specific text/message at once.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!