How to not calculate (ignore formula) if cell is blank in Excel?
Let's say we have a roll of students with their birthdays in Excel, and we are required to calculate students' age. Normally we can apply the formula of =(TODAY()-B2)/365.25 to figure out the ages. However, we get ridiculous ages because some students' birthdays are not filled by accident. To prevent the errors, we have to not calculate or ignore the formula if cells are blank in Excel.
Do not calculate (ignore formula) if cell is blank in Excel
Do not calculate or ignore formula if cell is blank in Excel
To ignore a formula or don't calculate if the specific cell is blank in Excel, we need to check the specific cell is blank or not with IF function, if it's not blank, we can go ahead to calculate with original formula.
=IF(Specific Cell<>"",Original Formula,"")
In our case discussed at the beginning, we need to enter =IF(B2<>"",(TODAY()-B2)/365.25,"") into Cell C2, and then drag the Fill Handle to the range you need.
Note: The B2 means Cell B2 filled with birthday, if the Cell B2 is blank it will ignore the formula and return blank, if the Cell B2 is filled with birthday, it will return the age.
Alternatively, we can also combine the IF function and original formula as =IF(Specific Cell="","","Original Formula"), and in our case the formula is shown as =IF(B2="","",(TODAY()-B2)/365.25).
Demo: Do not calculate (ignore formula) if cell is blank in Excel
Quickly enter dash, certain text, or NA into all blank cells in selection in Excel
Kutools for Excel's Fill Blank Cells utility can help you quickly enter a certain text, such as "Warning" into all blank cells in the selected range only with several clicks in Excel.
How to prevent saving if specific cell is blank in Excel?
How to highlight row if cell contains text/value/blank in Excel?
How to use IF function with AND, OR, and NOT in Excel?
How to display warning/alert messages if cells are blank in Excel?
How to enter/display text or message if cells are blank in Excel?
How to delete rows if cells are blank in a long list in Excel?
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office / Excel 2007-2021 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features 30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!