How to highlight row if cell contains text/value/blank in Excel?
For example we have a purchase table in Excel, now we want to find out the purchase orders of apple and then highlight the entire rows where the orders of apple are in as the left screenshot shown. We can get it done easily in Excel with Conditional Formatting command or Kutools for Excel's features, please read on to find out how.
To highlight entire rows of cells containing the specific text, value or just blank cells with the Conditional Formatting command in Excel, you can do as following:
1. Select the purchase table without its column headings.
2. Click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule. See the first screenshot below:
3. In the coming New Formatting Rule dialog box as shown in the second screenshot above, please do as follows:
(1) Click to select the Use a formula to determine which cells to format in the Select a Rule Type box;
(2) In the Format values where this formula is true box, enter =$B2="Apple";
(3) Click the Format button.
(1) In the formula =$B2="Apple", $B2 is the cell you will check if contains the specific text or value, and "Apple" is the specific text, you can change them as you need. And this formula can only find out cells only containing the specific text or value.
(2) If you want to highlight rows if cells are blank, enter =$B2="" in the Step 3-(2).
(3) If you want to highlight rows if cells begin with specific text, you need to enter =LEFT($B2,5)="Apple"; or to highlight rows if cells end with specific text, enter =RIGHT($B2,5)="Apple".
4. Now the Format Cells dialog box is opening. Go to the Fill tab, specify a background color, and click the OK button.
5. Click OK button to close the New Formatting Rule dialog box.
Then all rows containing the specific content cells in the selected range are highlighted.
With Kutools for Excel's Select Specific Cells feature, we can select the rows if cells contain specific text or value, and then highlight these rows easily in Excel.
1. Select the column where you will find out cells if contain specific text or value.
2. Click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells.
3. In the opening Select Specific Cells dialog box as above screenshot shown, please do as follows:
(1) Check the Entire row in the Selection type section;
(2) In the Specific Type section, click the first box and specify the Contains from the drop down list, and then enter the specific text into the following box.
(3) Click the OK button.
4. In the second Select Specific Cell dialog box, click the OK button. And then all cells with the entire rows which contain the specific text or value are selected.
5. Click the Fill Color button on the Home tab, and then specify a highlight color from the drop down list.
Sometimes you may need to highlight the entire row only if its cell contains one of specific values in another column. Kutools for Excel’s Compare Ranges utility provides another workaround to highlight entire rows if cells contain one of specific values easily.
1. Click Kutools > Select > Select Same & Different Cells.
2. In the Select Same & Different Cells dialog box as shown in the right screenshot, please do as follows:
(1) In the Find values in box, please specify the Column whose cells you will check if containing one of specific values;
(2) In the According to box, please specify the column containing the specific values;
(3) In the Based on section, please check the Each row option;
(4) In the Find section please check the Same Values option;
(5) In the Processing of results dialog box, please check the Fill backcolor option and specify the fill color;
(6) Check the Select entire rows option.
3. Click the OK button to apply this utility. And then another Compare Ranges dialog box comes out and shows us how many rows have been selected. Just click the OK button to close it.
And then you will see if a cell contains one of specific values in another column, the entire row of this cell is highlighted and filled with the specific color.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Easy to Uninstall Completely | Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
(Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!