How to countif a specific value across multiple worksheets?
Supposing, I have multiple worksheets which contains following data, and now, I want to get the number of occurrence of a specific value “Excel” from theses worksheets. How could I count a specific values across multiple worksheet?
Countif a specific value across multiple worksheets with formulas
In Excel, there is a formula for you to count a certain values from multiple worksheets. Please do as follows:
1. List all the sheet names which contain the data you want to count in a single column like the following screenshot shown:
2. In a blank cell, please enter this formula: =SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&C2:C4&"'!A2:A6"),E2)), then press Enter key, and you will get the number of the value “Excel” in these worksheets, see screenshot:
1. In the above formula:
- A2:A6 is the data range that you want to count the specified value across worksheets;
- C2:C4 is the sheet names list which include the data you want to use;
- E2 is the criteria that you want based on.
2. If there are multiple worksheets need to be listed, you can read this article How to List Worksheet Names in Excel? to deal with this task.
3. In Excel, you can also use the COUNTIF function to add the worksheet one by one, please do with the following formula: =COUNTIF(Sheet1!A2:A6,D2)+COUNTIF(Sheet10!A2:A6,D2)+COUNTIF(Sheet15!A2:A6,D2), (Sheet1, Sheet10 and Sheet15 are the worksheets that you want to count, D2 is the criteria that you based on), and then press Enter key to get the result. See screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Navigation pane, you can quickly list and count the specific value across multiple worksheet.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, lease do as follows:
1. Click Kutools > Navigation, see screenshot:
2. In the Navigation pane, please do the following operations:
(1.) Click Find and Replace button to expand the Find and Replace pane;
(2.) Type the specific value into the Find what text box;
(3.) Choose a search scope from the Whithin drop down, in this case, I will choose Selected Sheet;
(4.) Then select the sheets which you want to count the specific values from the Workbooks list box;
(5.) Check Match entire cell if you want to count the cells match exact;
(6.) Then click the Find All button to list all the specific values from multiple worksheets, and the number of the cells are displayed at the bottom of the pane.