How to count the number of times a character / word appears in a cell?
This article, I will talk about how to count the number of times a specific character or a word appears in a cell in a worksheet. For example, A2 contains the text “Kutools for outlook and Kutools for word”, and now, I want to know the number of the letter “o” in this cell. In Excel, we can apply formulas to deal with this job.
To count the number of occurrences of a wordor a character in a cell, you can use the formula which combines SUBSTITUTE and LEN functions. Please do as follows:
Enter the below formula into a blank cell, and then press Enter key to get the number of times the character appears, see screenshot:
1. In the above formula, A2 is the text cell that you want to count, the word “remove” is the specified character that you want to count its occurrences
2. With above formula, you can also count the number of a specific character appears in a cell, you just need to change the word "remove" to the character as you want, see the following screenshot:
3. This formula is case sensitive.
4. To count number of the specific word or charater appears without case sensitive, please apply the following formula:
If you have Kutools for Excel, you can use its Count the number of a word of Commonly-Used Formulas to count the times a certain character or a word occurs.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Click a cell where you want to output the result.
2. Then click Kutools > Formula Helper > Statistical > Count the number of a word, see screenshot:
3. And in the popped out Formulas Helper dialog box, select the cell that you want to cout the specifc word or character from the Text box, and then enter the word or character that you want to count in the Word text box, see screenshot:
4. Then click OK to close the dialog, and you will get the correct result as you want.
Note: This feature is case sensitive.
More relative articles:
- Count The Number Of Spaces Of Text String
- Have you ever tried to count the number of spaces of text string in a cell? Of course, you can count them one by one manually, but, if there are multiple cells needed to be counted, this way will be tedious and time consuming.
- Count The Number Of Words In A Cell Or A Range Cells
- You can easily count the number of words in MS Word, but Excel doesn't have a built-in tool for counting the number of words in a worksheet. However, you can count the number of words in Excel with following methods.
- Count Cells If One Of Multiple Criteria Met
- The COUNTIF function will help us count cells containing one criteria, and the COUNTIFS function can help up count cells containing a set of conditions or criteria in Excel. What if counting cells if contain one of multiple criteria? Here I will share the ways to count cells if contain X or Y or Z … etc. in Excel.
- Count Comma Separated Values In A Single Cell
- If cell content is separated by comma in a single cell, such as “A1, A2, A3, A4, A5”, and you want to count the total number of comma separated values in this cell, what can you do? In this case, the total comma separated values should be 5.