How to auto sort column by value in Excel?
For example, you have a purchase table as below screenshot shown. Now you want the Price column to be sorted automatically when you enter new numbers/prices in this column, how could you solve it? Here I introduce a VBA macro to help you auto sort a specific column by value in Excel.
This VBA macro will sort all data in a specific column automatically as soon as you enter new data or change value in the column in Excel.
1. Right click current sheet name in the Sheet Tab bar, and then click the View Code from the right-clicking menu.
2. In the opening Microsoft Visual Basic for Application dialog box, paste the following VBA macro code into the opening window.
VBA: Auto Sort Column in Excel
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error Resume Next If Not Intersect(Target, Range("B:B")) Is Nothing Then Range("B1").Sort Key1:=Range("B2"), _ Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes, _ OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, _ Orientation:=xlTopToBottom End If End Sub
1) In the above vba code, means it will auto sort Column B, is the first cell in Column B, is the second cell in Column B, and you can change them based on your needs.
2) The snippet in the 5th row tells Excel that the range you will sort has a header, so that the first row of the range will not be included when sorting. If there is no header, please change it to ; and change in the 4th row to .
3. Then go back to the worksheet, when you enter a new number in the Price column or modify any existing prices, the Price column will be automatically sorted in ascending order.
Note: When you enter a new number in the Price column, you must enter the number in the first blank cell below the original numbers. If there are blank cells between the new entered number and original numbers as well as blank cells between original numbers, this column won't be sorted automatically.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!