How to auto sort column by value in Excel?
For example, you have a purchase table as left screen shot shown. Now you want the Price column to be sorted automatically when you enter new number/price in this column, how could you solve it? Here I introduce a VBA macro to help you auto sort a specific column by value in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
This VBA macro will sort all data in a specific column automatically as soon as you enter new data or change value in the column in Excel.
1. Right click current sheet name in the Sheet Tab bar, and then click the View Code from the right-clicking menu.
2. In the opening Microsoft Visual Basic for Application dialog box, paste the following VBA macro code into the opening window.
VBA: Auto Sort Column in Excel
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error Resume Next If Not Intersect(Target, Range("B:B")) Is Nothing Then Range("B1").Sort Key1:=Range("B2"), _ Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes, _ OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, _ Orientation:=xlTopToBottom End If End Sub
Note: In the above vba code, B:B means it will auto sort Column B, B1 is the first cell in Column B, B2 is the second cell in Column B, and you can change them based on your needs.
3. Then go back to the worksheet, when you enter a new number in the Price column or modify any existing prices, the Price column will be automatically sorted in ascending order.
Note: when entering new number in the Price column, you must enter the number in the first blank cell below original numbers. If there are blank cells between new entered number and original numbers as well as blank cells between original numbers, this column won't be sorted automatically.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 days agoSo this seems to work when the data is manually entered but doesn't work when it is a table that repopulates from another file....is there any way to do that?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 months agoHi, it arrange the entire row but I have some link on cells into specific folder which is left behind after sort.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 months agoThis has been really helpful but I have 2 rows of headers (rows 1 and 2) and when I run the VBA it takes the second row to the bottom of the dates
how do I stop this?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 months agoHi kerry,
There is a VBA that will automatically sort cells in the Column igonring the first two header cells.
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim xIntRC As Integer
Dim xURg As Range
On Error Resume Next
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("B:B")) Is Nothing Then
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("B1:B2")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Set xURg = ActiveSheet.UsedRange
xIntRC = xURg.Rows.count
Range("B2:B" & xIntRC).Sort Key1:=Range("B3"), _
Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes, _
OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, _
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 11 months agoMay I ask if there is a way to use this VBA code if there is a formula in the column that you want to be the main sort.
i.e. if A2 = the sum of f2 + g2+ h2 and column A needs to be sorted on the total sum? (I can't get VBA to work if formula in the cells)
Any assistance would be kindly appreciated as hope to use it for ranking races when the winner is the one with the total of three racing events.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 10 months agoi also want to know solution for Paula problem. please share
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHi,
How can I make this macro start after I fill all data to the specific column?
I want the listing macro start after I fill empty boxes. Because when I use this, it changes the place suddenly.
I need to start this macro after I filled the last data of that column (20 datas to be exact)
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHello, I am an intermediate Excel user. I am wondering if someone could help direct me for what I am trying to accomplish. Here is what I am trying to do: Auto-Sort with Custom Order.
A little about my spreadsheets: I have one sheet (named: Sheet1) that lists 16 columns (A through P) and currently 19 rows (this number will increase as more data is entered). In the last column (column P) all cells have a drop down menu of options (located and pulled from sheet two (named "BackEnd"). The drop down selections are color-coded (using conditional formatting rules).
What I am hoping to do: As a user enters data in a new row, as soon as they are finished selecting an option from the drop down menu in column P, Excel will auto-sort the new row to a specific order. I have been able to create VBA code for auto-sorting in ascending and descending order, but I have not been able to create a code for auto-sorting the data in a specific order. The order I would like to have the data sorted into is:
Pre-Screened Not Qualified:
Scope of Work:
Home Repairs in Progress
Is this possible? Any help is appreciated! Thank you!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoWhile this is a fantastic code, I would like to know if anyone could help me get it go from ascending to descending? In other words, I'm looking for it to be the largest number on top with the lowest number on the bottom
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoChange (Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes, ) To (Order1:=xlDescending, Header:=xlYes, )
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoAny one know how to set set an auto serial no. for an excel work sheet. The number should excludes all heading and sub headings, and should auto re arrange after adding or deleting a row.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHi,
Kutools for Excel provides an Insert Sequence Number feature, which can insert unique and consecutive values no matter how many times you insert.
For example, the first time you insert 1,2,3,4;
The second time this feature will insert 5,6,7,8,9,10
The third time this feature will insert 11,12,…
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThanks for code and logic. The above logic is not working when we are looking at bigger range of cells like Intersect(Target, Range("B:B,C:C,D:D")). I want if there is change in any cell in the Column (B,C or D), resorting needs to be done.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoTHANK YOU!!!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoCopied the code exactly into my sheet in VBA. But nothing is happening am I missing something? Did exactly what you did.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoFirst row is excluded for the sorting
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoI had the same problem and I found out why. Go to line 5, (Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes, _). The script is telling Excel the first cell is a header, and therefore it will ignore it when the sorting takes place. If you want to include the first row, change it to the following line:
Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo, _
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHello. Excellent trick, thank you very much. In my file, I have important info which I need to see in cells A1 and A2. Therefore, I have stabilized all cells and my values start from A3 to A500. When I execute this vba, my info in cell A2 goes in cell 501. How can I make it start ranging form cell A3? Thank you in advance!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoSay I need to auto sort column "C" and column "D". How would I modify the code to sort both columns?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoThis is GREAT. This was of great help.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoI am looking for the same automatic sorting when entering data for my excel chart. Finding it hard to understand the details of what you have entered here as example. I would really appreciate it if someone here who did the example above could help me sort my sheet out so it did the same. I have a F1 chart that shows winners, and points, and would like it so that when the points are entered next to the drivers name for a specific race for the total on the right hand side of the sheet to be in numerical order, WITHOUT MIXING THE RESULT against other drivers. It seems that I can not place on this message an attachment of my chart so if you are able to alter my chart for me so this will happen I would like to hear from you. I can send it via email to you. If you can help with this then please email me at email@example.com and in the SUBJECT line please write F1 Excel help and will reply with the chart attached for you. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoBeautiful, beautiful, beautiful, thank you SO much. Would have never been able to figure this out on my own and I really appreciate you sharing this!!!