How to rank duplicate values in Excel?
Let's say you have received the transcript as left screen shot shown, and want to get your rank without sorting, how could you get it done in Excel? And what if your score is duplicate with others? In this article, I will introduce several rank formulas to solve it in Excel.
Normally we can apply the Rank function and return the rank number easily in Excel.
Select a blank cell, enter the formula =RANK("84",B2:B23) into it, and press the Enter key. See screen shot:
Note: in the formula of =RANK("84",B2:B23), 84 is your score, and B2:B23 is the score range you want to rank your score in, and you can change them based on your needs.
Sometimes your score may be duplicate with others in the score range as left screenshot shown. If you want to rank your score and return the top rank number in Excel, you can do as following:
Select a blank cell, enter the formula =RANK.EQ("84",B2:B23) into it, and press the Enter key.
(1) In the formula of =RANK.EQ("84",B2:B23), 84 is your score, and B2:B23 is the score range you want to rank your score in, and you can change them based on your needs.
(2) For ranking duplicate values and returning the average rank, please apply this formula =RANK.AVG("84",B2:B23).
(3) Both formulas do not work in Excel 2007.
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can easily batch rank duplicate values in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Select the range you will rank duplicates, and click Kutools > Content > Advanced Combine Rows. See screenshot below:
2. In the opening Advanced Combine Rows dialog box, Pease (see screenshot above):
(1) Select the column with duplicates (in our case select the Score column) and click the Primary Key;
(2) Select the column you will combine ( in our case select the Name column) and click the Combine > Comma.
And now all names with same score are combined into the same cell as below screenshot shown.
3. Select the column (Score column in our case) you will rank, and click Data > Sort Largest to Smallest or Sort Smallest to Largest, and then check the Expand the selection option and click the Sort button in the Sort Warning dialog box. See screenshots below:
And now rows in the selected range are combined based on the sc roes, sorted/ranked by the scores. See screenshot below:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!