How to calculate average of dynamic range in Excel?
For example you want to average a range which is dynamically changing based on the value in a certain cell or criteria in Excel, is there any formulas to solve it? Of course yes! Here I will introduce formulas to calculate the average of dynamic range in Excel easily.
Method 1: Calculate average of dynamic range in Excel
Select a blank cell, for example Cell C3, enter the formula =IF(C2=0,"NA",AVERAGE(A2:INDEX(A:A,C2))) into it, and then press the Enter key.
(1) In the formula of =IF(C2=0,"NA",AVERAGE(A2:INDEX(A:A,C2))), A2 is the first cell of the dynamic range in Column A, C2 is the cell with number which equals to row number of last cell of the dynamic range. And you can change them based on your needs.
(2) You can also apply the formula =AVERAGE(INDIRECT("A2:A" &C2)) to calculate the average of dynamic range based on Cell C2.
Calculate average of dynamic range based on criteria
Sometimes, the range is dynamic based on the criteria users input. In this case, you can calculate the average of dynamic range as below steps.
1. Batch define names for each row and each column in the specified range.
In our case, select the Range A1:D11, click the Create names from selection button in the Name manager pane; check both Top row option and Left column option in the Create Names from Selection dialog box, and click the OK button. See screenshot below:
Note: The Name manager pane is one component of Navigation Pane, which is provided by Kutools for Excel and includes: (1) list all opening workbooks and sheet tabs; (2) list and insert AutoText entries; (3) list all name ranges; (4) List all column names of active sheet; (5) Advanced find and replace. Read More Have a no-limitation Trial
2. Select the blank cell you will place the dynamic average at, enter the formula =AVERAGE(INDIRECT(G2)) (G2 is the dynamic criteria users input, and it will be one of row headers or column headers of the specified range.) into it, and press the Enter key.
And now the average will dynamically change based on the criteria users input in the Cell G2. See screenshot above.
Automatically Count/Sum/Average cells by fill color in Excel
Sometimes you mark cells by fill color, and then count/sum up these cells or calculate these cells’ average later. Kutools for Excel’s Count by Color utility can help you solve it with ease. Full Feature Free Trial 30-day!
Kutools for Excel - Includes more than 300 handy tools for Excel. Full feature free trial 30-day, no credit card required! Get It Now
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!