How to average timestamps of day in Excel?
For example, you have recorded the login timestamps of every time a specific user accessed a website in Excel as following screen shot show, and now you want to average these timestamps for predicting the most possible time this users will access the website in future, how could you get it done? Here I will introduce two ways to average timestamps of days in Excel.
We can calculate the time of every day in a help column, and then average the time in the help column easily in Excel. You can do as follows:
1. Besides original Timestamps column, type the word “Time” into the Cell B1, enter =A2-INT(A2) into Cell B2, and then drag its Fill Handle to the Range B2:B6. See screen shot:
Note: In the formula of =A2-INT(A2), A2 is the first timestamp in Timestamps column, and you can change it based on your needs.
2. Keep selecting the time cells in the help column, and then format them as time with clicking the arrow in Number Format box > Time on Home tab. See screen shot:
3. Select the blank cell below help column, in our case select Cell B7, enter the formula =AVERAGE(B2:B6) into it and press the Enter key.
Now you will get the average time of these timestamps of days at once.
Actually, we can apply an array formula to average timestamps of days directly in Excel. You can do as follow:
1. Select any blank cell, says Cell B4, enter the formula =AVERAGE(--TEXT(A2:A6-INT(A2:A6),"h:mm")), and then press the Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys simultaneously.
|Formula is too complicated to remember? Save the formula as an Auto Text entry for reusing with only one click in future!
Read more… Free trial
2. Then format the average result to time format with selecting the Cell B4 and clicking the arrow in Number Format box > Time on Home tab. See screen shot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Excel Skills: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day! (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)