How to restore unsaved file in Excel?
When you have taken hours to create a complex workbook and go about finishing it, the Excel crashes or the computer is accidently closed which will make you crazy because of the workbook without saved. But do not worry, here I will talk about some methods to restore the unsaved files in Excel.
Enable Excel, and there is a Document Recovery pane appears in the left of the worksheet, and click the workbook you want to restore, then the workbook will be opened.
Note: The workbook must be saved at least once time before the Excel crashes, or the workbook cannot appear in the Document Recovery pane.
If your new workbooks are unsaved when Excel crashes, you can go to the Recover Unsaved Workbooks to find your workbooks.
1. Click File > Info > Manage Versions > Recover Unsaved Workbooks. See screenshot:
(1) You also can click File > Open > Recover Unsaved Workbooks to open the Open dialog in Excel 2013; in Excel 2010 click File > Recent > Recover Unsaved Workbooks.
(2) This method does not work with Excel 2007.
2. Then in the Open dialog, select the workbook you want to recover, and click Open.
3. Then the workbook is opened, and click Save As button above the formula bar, and then select a folder to locate this workbook and click Save. See screenshots.
Easily merge two tables and update the new items in Excel
|In some times, you may want to merge two tables into one, and update the itmes and add new ones. Kutools for Excel's Tables Merge utility can merge the Main table with the Lookup table into one, and update the main table as the preview shown. Click for full-featured free trial in 30 days!|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
In Excel, the workbook will be auto save at a special interval minutes which can help you to restore the previous versions of the workbook.
1. Click File > Info, and go to the Manage Versions section, and you can see the previous versions of the workbook.
2. Click the version you want to restore, and then the version of the workbook enabled, and click Enable Content and Restore, then a dialog popped out to ask that if overwrite, and click OK to finish version restore.
Autosave: Excel auto saves the workbook at a specific interval when you do some changes in the workbook.
When I closed without saving: The workbook is not closed in the correct way.
Tip: You should make sure that the Save AutoRecover information every minutes option is checked in the Excel Options dialog. See screenshot:
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoI work a lot with Excel spreadsheets. Saving data is very important for me, because my tables have 25-30 sheets. I have been using Autosave function and set the save every 5 minutes. This is the best time, because if you set 2 minutes, as is said in the article https://hetmanrecovery.com/recover_deleted_document/excel - the program is very "slow". Autosave data - very useful function.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years agoI work a lot with Excel spreadsheets. Saving data is very important for me, because my tables have 25-30 sheets. I have been using Autosave function and set the save every 5 minutes. This is the best time, because if you set 2 minutes, as is said in the article https://hetmanrecovery.com/recover_deleted_document/excel - the program is very "slow". Autosave data - very useful function. It is important not to forget to include this feature if Excel software was reinstalled or upgraded.