How to autofill VLOOKUP in Excel?
VLOOKUP function is useful in Excel, but when you drag the autofill handle to fill range with a VLOOKUP formula, there may appear some errors. Now this tutorial will tell you the correct way to auto fill VLOOKUP function in Excel.
Split Cells (split a cell into multiple columns to multiple rows based on a separator or fixed width.)
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel/Office
For example, you may use the VLOOKUP formula like this =VLOOKUP(B2,A8:B14,2), then you drag the auto fill handle to a range you need, you may get the wrong results as below screenshot shown:
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
But if you use absolute reference instead of the relative reference in the table array part of the formula, the autofill results will be correct.
Type =VLOOKUP(B2,$A$8:$B$14,2) into the cell you need, and drag the auto fill handle to a range you need, you will get the correct results. See screenshot:
The syntax of the above VLOOKUP: VLOOKUP(lookup_value, table_array, col_index_num)
Addition to using absolute reference in the formula, you also can use the range name to instead of the relative reference in the table array part of formula.
1. Select the table array range, then go to the Name box and type Marks (or any name you want) and press the Enter key. See screenshot:
Tip: Table array range is the range that contains the criteria you need to use in the VLOOKUP function.
2. In a cell type this formula =VLOOKUP(B2,Marks,2), then drag the auto fill handle to a range you need to apply this formula, and the results are correctly gotten.
|If you are interested in Kutools for Excel, download the 60-days free trial.|
Flip Vertical Range/Horizontal Range
|With Kutools for Excel's Flip Range utility, you can quickly flip data horizontally or vertically as you need.|
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
300 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...