How to change chart axis's min/max value with formula in Excel?
When we create a scatter chart in Excel, the chart will figure out the max/min axis value automatically. Sometimes, users may want to determine and change the max/min axis value by formulas, how to deal with it? This article will introduce a VBA macro to determine and change chart axis's min/max value with formula in Excel.
Change chart axis's min/max value with formula in Excel
To change chart axis's min/max value with formulas in a scatter chart in Excel, you can do as follows:
Step 1: Select your source data, and add a scatter chart with clicking the Insert Scatter (X, Y) and Bubble Chart (or Scatter)> Scatter on the Insert tab.
Step 2: Find a blank range besides source data, says Range E1: G4, add titles as below screen shot shown:
Step 3: Figure out the minimum value and maximum value for X axis and Y axis with formulas:
(1) Maximum value in X axis: In Cell F2 enter the formula =ROUNDUP(MAX(A2:A18)+2,0), and press the Enter key;
(2) Minimum value in X axis: In Cell F3 enter the formula =ROUNDDOWN(MIN(A2:A18)-1,0), and press the Enter key.
(3) Tick value in X axis: In Cell F4 type 1 or other tick value you need;
(4) Maximum value in Y axis: In Cell G2 enter the formula =ROUNDUP(MAX(B2:B18)+20,0), and press the Enter key;
(5) Minimum value in Y axis: In Cell G3 enter the formula =ROUNDDOWN(MIN(B2:B18)-10,0), and press the Enter key;
(6) Tick value in Y axis: In Cell G4 type 10 or other tick value you need.
Note: In above formulas, A2:A18 is the Price column that you figure out x axis scale based on, B2:B18 is the Weight column that you figure out y axis scale based on. And you can adjust the maximum value or minimum value with changing the numbers in above formulas based on your needs.
Step 4: Select the scatter chart, and right click current worksheet name on the Sheet tab bar, and select the View Code from the right-clicking menu.
Step 5: In the opening Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, copy and paste the following code into the window:
VBA: Change Chart Axis's min/max values by formulas
Sub ScaleAxes() With Application.ActiveChart.Axes(xlCategory, xlPrimary) .MinimumScale = ActiveSheet.Range("F3").Value .MaximumScale = ActiveSheet.Range("F2").Value .MajorUnit = ActiveSheet.Range("F4").Value End With With Application.ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue, xlPrimary) .MinimumScale = ActiveSheet.Range("G3").Value .MaximumScale = ActiveSheet.Range("G2").Value .MajorUnit = ActiveSheet.Range("G4").Value End With End Sub
Note: F3 is minimum value in X axis, F2 is maximum value in X axis, F4 is the tick value in X axis, G3 is minimum value in Y axis, G2 is maximum value in Y axis, G4 is the tick value in Y axis, and you can change all of them based on your needs.
Step 6: Run this VBA with clicking the Run button or pressing the F5 key.
Then you will see the minimum value and maximum value of X axis and Y axis all are changed in the selected scatter chart at once.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!