Without people like you I would never have gained the skills in Excel I have today.
Thank You so very much. Regards. JV
In some cases, you have a list of data with some blanks, and now you want to create a dynamic list based on these data without the blanks, and most of you may remove the blank one by one then create the dynamic list, but here I will tell you a quick way to solve this task in Excel.
Select Duplicate & Unique Cells (quickly select duplicate or unique values in a column.
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
1. Select a cell next to the original list and type this formula =IF(B2="","",MAX(A$1:A1)+1) into it, and then drag the autofill handle down to the range you need. Now you will see only the cells with data has a number next to. See screenshot:
In above formula, B2 is the first cell in the range that you will create a dynamic list by.
2. Then go to another column and type this formula =IFERROR(INDEX($B$2:$B$11,MATCH(ROW()-ROW($D$1),$A$2:$A$11,0)),"") into it, and then drag the autofill handle down until blank cells appears.
In the above formula, B2: B11 is the range of original data, and A2:A11 is the range that number the row in step 1.
3. Then select a cell or range you want to create the dynamic list without blanks, and click Data > Data Validation. See screenshot:
4. In the Data Validation dialog, select List from the Allow list, and type this formula =OFFSET(Sheet1!$C$1,1,0,MAX(Sheet1!$A:$A),1) into Source textbox. See screenshot:
|Never need to worry about long long formulas in Excel anymore! Kutools for Excel's Auto Text can add all formulas to a group
as auto text, and liberate your brain! Click here to know Auto Text Click here to get free trial
1. In Excel 2007, users cannot use reference to other worksheets or workbook for Data Validation criteria. Therefore, you need to select a blank cell in current worksheet in Step 3, and enter the formula =OFFSET($C$1,1,0,MAX($A:$A),1) into Source text box in Step 4.
2. In the above formula, C1 is the first cell of the new list you made in step 2.
5. Click OK. Then you can see the dynamic list is created without blanks.