How to find the least or most common / frequent value in Excel?
When you work on Excel workbook, sometimes, you may need to find the least common or frequent value in a column or a row of the worksheet. Excepting find it one by one manually, there is a formula which combine the Index, Match, Min and Countif functions can quickly return the least frequently occurring value.
To extract the least common value of the list, the below formula may help you. Please do as this:
1. In a blank cell where you want to place the result, please enter this formula: =INDEX(A2:A16,MATCH(MIN(COUNTIF(A2:A16,A2:A16)),COUNTIF(A2:A16,A2:A16),0)), see screenshot:
2. And then press Shift + Ctrl + Enter keys together, and you will get the value which appears least time of the column, see screenshot:
1. In the above formula, A2:A16 is the data range that you want to get the least frequent value from.
2. If there are blank cells in the data list, this formula will not work.
3. This formula will only return the first least common value if there are multiple values meet this criterion.
Find and return the most common / frequent value in a list:
With Kutools for Excel’s Find most common value feature, you can find and extract the most frequent value from a column in Excel quickly without any formula.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Download and free trial Now!
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!