How to separate whole number (integer) from decimal in Excel?
For a list of numbers which consist of whole number (integer) part and decimal part, you may need to separate them to different columns as below screenshot shown.
In this article, we will show you details of separating whole number and decimal in Excel.
To separate whole number from decimal in Excel, please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell such as B2, enter this formula =TRUNC(A2) into it and then press the Enter key.
2. Select the result cell, and then drag the Fill Handle down to get all whole numbers from specified cells. See screenshot:
After getting the whole number of the list, you can also get the decimal numbers as follows.
3. Select cell C2, enter this formula =A2-C2 into it and then press the Enter key.
Tips, If you just want to extract the decimal number, please apply this formula =A2-TRUNC(A2).
4. Drag the Fill Handle down to get the other decimal numbers of the list. See screenshot:
Then the whole numbers and decimal are separated from the list.
If you don’t want to remember the formulas, here we introduce the Extract Text utility of Kutools for Excel. With this utility, you can easily separate whole numbers from decimal in Excel.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the range with numbers you want to separate whole numbers from decimal, then click Kutools > Text > Extract Text.
2. In the Extract Text dialog box, type *. Into the Text box, click the Add button to add the rule to the Extract list, and finally click the OK button.
3. Then a dialog box pops up, select the cell for locating the separated whole numbers, and then click the OK button.
Now all whole numbers are separated from the decimals immediately. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!