How to sum values without or exclude subtotals in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of data mixed with several subtotal cells, when you need to sum the total, all the subtotals are included in the final summing. See screenshot below.
For summing values without the subtotals in Excel, what would you do? In this article, we will show you a quick method to achieve it.
Normally, we will calculate the subtotal of some rows with the SUM function, in this case, we can sum the list of numbers without the subtotals with following steps:
1. To get the subtotal of each group with the Sum function, see screenshot:
2. And then, sum the list values excluding the subtotals with this formula: =SUM(B2:B21)/2, enter this formula into a blank cell where you want to get the result, and then press Enter key to get the result you need.
Excepting apply the Sum function, you can also use the Subtotal function to get each group subtotals and grand total without subtotals. Please do as follows.
1. First, you need the SUBTOTAL function to get each group subtotals, please enter this formula: =SUBTOTAL(9,B2:B10), see screenshot:
2. After calculating each group subtotals, to get the grand total of the column without theses subtotals, enter this formula: =SUBTOTAL(9,B2:B21) into a cell you need, then press Enter key, and you will get the grand total which excludes the subtotals automatically.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!