How to vlookup between two dates and return corresponding value in Excel?
Supposing you have a report of some projects schedule, now, you want to get the specific project of a given time which is between two given dates of the schedule. Take the following screenshot data for example, I would like to look up the given date 12/1/2019, if this date falls between the start dates and end dates within the report, then return its corresponding project name. This article, I will introduce the LOOKUP function to deal with this problem.
To get the relative value on which date falls between two dates, the below Lookup formula may help you. Please do as this:
1. Enter the below formula into a blank cell where you want to place the result:
Note: In the above formua:
- B2:B8 is the range of start dates and C2:C8 is the end date range in your table;
- the E2 is the given date which you want to get its corresponding value.
2. And then, drag the fill handle down to the cells to get the result you need. See screenshot:
- If the date doesn’t exist, you will get an error value after typing this formula.
- Here is another simple formula that also helps you:=LOOKUP(E2,$B$2:$C$8,$A$2:$A$8).
If you don't want to remeber these painful formulas, Kutools for Excel's LOOKUP between Two Values feature can help you to solve this job as quickly as you need.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Click Kutools > Super Lookup > LOOKUP between Two Values, see screenshot:
2. In the LOOKUP between Two Values dialog box, please do the following operations:
- Select the lookup value cells and output cells from the Lookup values and Output Range section;
- Then, specify the corresponding items from the Data range section.
3. Then, click OK button, the matching records based on the given dates have been extracted as following screenshot shown:
Note: If you want to replace the error value when the date doesn’t exist with other specific text, please check Replace #N/A error value with a specified value option.
More relative articles:
- Vlookup Values Across Multiple Worksheets
- In excel, we can easily apply the vlookup function to return the matching values in a single table of a worksheet. But, have you ever considered that how to vlookup value across multiple worksheet? Supposing I have the following three worksheets with range of data, and now, I want to get part of the corresponding values based on the criteria from these three worksheets.
- Use Vlookup Exact And Approximate Match In Excel
- In Excel, vlookup is one of the most important functions for us to search a value in the left-most column of the table and return the value in the same row of the range. But, do you apply the vlookup function successfully in Excel? This article, I will talk about how to use the vlookup function in Excel.
- Vlookup Matching Value From Bottom To Top In Excel
- Normally, the Vlookup function can help you to find the data from top to bottom to get the first matching value from the list. But, sometimes, you need to vlookup from bottom to top to extract the last corresponding value. Do you have any good ideas to deal with this task in Excel?
- Vlookup And Return Whole / Entire Row Of A Matched Value In Excel
- Normally, you can vlookup and return a matching value from a range of data by using the Vlookup function, but, have you ever tried to find and return the whole row of data based on specific criteria as following screenshot shown.
- Vlookup Values From Right To Left In Excel
- Vlookup is a useful function in Excel, we can use it to quickly return the corresponding data of the leftmost column in the table. However, if you want to look up a specific value in any other column and return the relative value to the left, the normal vlookup function will not work. Here, I can introduce you other formulas to solve this problem.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 months agoIt is very helpful for me...Thanks a lot.....
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 9 months agoThank you very much, very helpful and clear instructions!!!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoSame here, still finding the way to retrieve more than one value, Did you find the solution?
Thank you for your time!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agodear, I need help. For Example, IF we have many entries against value "A" than how I can pick the latest date value using the formula in excel. and if I have many entries of different values how I can pick the latest date value. (Sorry For My English)
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoI have something similiar to this! Have you had any luck anywhere?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoSame here , still finding the way to retrive more than one value, Did you find the solution ?
Thank you for your time!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoAdditional explanation: https://exceljet.net/formula/lookup-value-between-two-numbers
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHi. What is the logical explanation to use this formula: =LOOKUP(2,1/($A$2:$A$7<=F1)/($B$2:$B$7>=F1),$C$2:$C$7)? How does it work? Thanks.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoa godsend - exactly what I was looking for! much thanks
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agohello, what if in the columns, there are data aside from dates. How can I get the date from the range?
E.g. Column A - 03/19/2019, Column B - Approved, Column C - Pending, Column D - ---. In this case, how can I get 03/19/2019?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoi have two sheets, Sheet No 1 has Selling date, Grade & Item Code, Sheet no 2 has Price applicable from date, to date, Item code & Garde. please help to solve using vlookup, index or any other function in excel ?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoHello, what if I want to add another criteria. For example, if there was another column D called "Group ID" that I want to add in the formula. i.e. If group ID=302511 then LOOKUP(2,1/($A$2:$A$7<=F1)/($B$2:$B$7>=F1),$C$2:$C$7). Is this possible?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoHello, Tom,
Can you give your problem more detailed? You can insert a screenshot here.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoHi
I have a list of Jobs where the status of these jobs vary from INV, CMP to CLS.
is there a way i could lookup the Status Date to a corresponding job number to a different sheet
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoThanks - can always rely on help from internet
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoI have two tables in a workbook.I need help to create a macro to run a report based on the dates as shown.
Name Due Date Amount Paid
JohnDoe3 23-Jan-18 $965.00 Yes
JohnDoe4 24-Jan-18 $145.00 Yes
JohnDoe5 25-Jan-18 $225.00 No
JohnDoe6 26-Jan-18 $336.00 No
JohnDoe7 27-Jan-18 $365.00 No
JohnDoe8 28-Jan-18 $124.00 No
JohnDoe9 29-Jan-18 $321.00 No
JohnDoe10 30-Jan-18 $333.00 No
JohnDoe11 31-Jan-18 $521.00 No
JohnDoe12 01-Feb-18 $333.00 Yes
JohnDoe13 02-Feb-18 $965.00 No
JohnDoe14 03-Feb-18 $145.00 No
JohnDoe15 04-Feb-18 $225.00 No
JohnDoe16 05-Feb-18 $336.00 No
JohnDoe17 06-Feb-18 $365.00 No
JohnDoe18 07-Feb-18 $124.00 No
JohnDoe19 08-Feb-18 $321.00 No
JohnDoe20 09-Feb-18 $333.00 No
JohnDoe1 10-Feb-18 $521.00 No
JohnDoe2 11-Feb-18 $333.00 No
FirstDate LastDate PayDay
19-Oct-17 01-Nov-17 16-Nov-17
02-Nov-17 15-Nov-17 30-Nov-17
16-Nov-17 29-Nov-17 14-Dec-17
30-Nov-17 13-Dec-17 28-Dec-17
14-Dec-17 27-Dec-17 11-Jan-18
28-Dec-17 10-Jan-18 25-Jan-18
11-Jan-18 24-Jan-18 08-Feb-18
25-Jan-18 07-Feb-18 22-Feb-18
08-Feb-18 21-Feb-18 08-Mar-18
Today is 05FEB18
If I run a report today (falls between 25-Jan-18 and 07-Feb-18 for pay period 22-Feb-18)
I want to pick up all the records for Due Dates 25JAn18 to 07FEB18 which has no in the Paid column and create a report.
Then update the paid column to yes.
the output should be as follows
JohnDoe5 25-Jan-18 $225.00
JohnDoe6 26-Jan-18 $336.00
JohnDoe7 27-Jan-18 $365.00
JohnDoe8 28-Jan-18 $124.00
JohnDoe9 29-Jan-18 $321.00
JohnDoe10 30-Jan-18 $333.00
JohnDoe11 31-Jan-18 $521.00
JohnDoe12 01-Feb-18 $333.00
JohnDoe13 02-Feb-18 $965.00
JohnDoe14 03-Feb-18 $145.00
JohnDoe15 04-Feb-18 $225.00
JohnDoe16 05-Feb-18 $336.00
JohnDoe17 06-Feb-18 $365.00
JohnDoe18 07-Feb-18 $124.00
Thanks for your help.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoHi,
pls. explain how the formula works. Why use "2" as lookup values and "1/" in lookup vector?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoHow to solve the following problem
Date Range 50000 100000 200000
01/07/2010 30/06/2011 460 920 1840
01/07/2011 29/02/2012 502 1005 2011
01/03/2012 22/05/2015 560 1120 2241
23/05/2015 16/05/2017 480 960 1920
I want investment return of $100000 for the date 03/04/2013. What will be the formula?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoCan you explain why this works? What is the 2,1 for?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agosir how this formula work,pls get me step by step
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoYes, Why 2,1/
In fact I need to Vlook up a date in a range of dates like bellow, but th formula doesn't work #REF ! I don't know why..
2010-04-01 2010-10-31 À date P-6
2011-04-01 2011-10-31 À date P-5
2012-04-01 2012-10-31 À date P-4
2013-04-01 2013-10-31 À date P-3
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoWhen try with this in F2 =Lookup(F1,$A$2:$B$7,$C$2:$C$7) got the similar result. Can you pl explain the difference and why 2 been used as lookup value.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoI think it's because that's the number of lookup factors you have. I tried it with three factors and I used 3 as the lookup value. I'm not sure exactly, but I think by putting "3" and then using the "/" to separate the lookup vectors you tell Excel to search for the three following inputs to return the output.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoThis is brilliant. Simplicity in explanation is perfect. One of the quickest formulae I've ever looked up to learn. Thank you.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoHi! Nice explanation, but how can we do the same exercise if we have multiple projects with the same dates? In that case I want the name of those projects to be returned not only a single value...