How to vlookup between two dates and return corresponding value in Excel?
Supposing you have a report of some projects schedule, now, you want to get the specific project of a given time which is between two given dates of the schedule. Take the following screenshot data for example, I would like to look up the given date 12/1/2019, if this date falls between the start dates and end dates within the report, then return its corresponding project name. This article, I will introduce the LOOKUP function to deal with this problem.
To get the relative value on which date falls between two dates, the below Lookup formula may help you. Please do as this:
1. Enter the below formula into a blank cell where you want to place the result:
Note: In the above formua:
- B2:B8 is the range of start dates and C2:C8 is the end date range in your table;
- the E2 is the given date which you want to get its corresponding value.
2. And then, drag the fill handle down to the cells to get the result you need. See screenshot:
- If the date doesn’t exist, you will get an error value after typing this formula.
- Here is another simple formula that also helps you:=LOOKUP(E2,$B$2:$C$8,$A$2:$A$8).
If you don't want to remeber these painful formulas, Kutools for Excel's LOOKUP between Two Values feature can help you to solve this job as quickly as you need.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Click Kutools > Super Lookup > LOOKUP between Two Values, see screenshot:
2. In the LOOKUP between Two Values dialog box, please do the following operations:
- Select the lookup value cells and output cells from the Lookup values and Output Range section;
- Then, specify the corresponding items from the Data range section.
3. Then, click OK button, the matching records based on the given dates have been extracted as following screenshot shown:
Note: If you want to replace the error value when the date doesn’t exist with other specific text, please check Replace #N/A error value with a specified value option.
More relative articles:
- Vlookup Values Across Multiple Worksheets
- In excel, we can easily apply the vlookup function to return the matching values in a single table of a worksheet. But, have you ever considered that how to vlookup value across multiple worksheet? Supposing I have the following three worksheets with range of data, and now, I want to get part of the corresponding values based on the criteria from these three worksheets.
- Use Vlookup Exact And Approximate Match In Excel
- In Excel, vlookup is one of the most important functions for us to search a value in the left-most column of the table and return the value in the same row of the range. But, do you apply the vlookup function successfully in Excel? This article, I will talk about how to use the vlookup function in Excel.
- Vlookup Matching Value From Bottom To Top In Excel
- Normally, the Vlookup function can help you to find the data from top to bottom to get the first matching value from the list. But, sometimes, you need to vlookup from bottom to top to extract the last corresponding value. Do you have any good ideas to deal with this task in Excel?
- Vlookup And Return Whole / Entire Row Of A Matched Value In Excel
- Normally, you can vlookup and return a matching value from a range of data by using the Vlookup function, but, have you ever tried to find and return the whole row of data based on specific criteria as following screenshot shown.
- Vlookup Values From Right To Left In Excel
- Vlookup is a useful function in Excel, we can use it to quickly return the corresponding data of the leftmost column in the table. However, if you want to look up a specific value in any other column and return the relative value to the left, the normal vlookup function will not work. Here, I can introduce you other formulas to solve this problem.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!