How to vlookup next largest value in Excel?
Have you ever noticed that when you apply the VLOOKUP function to extract the approximate matched value by using this formula: =VLOOKUP(D2,A2:B8,2,TRUE), you will get the value less than the lookup value. However, in certain situations, you might need to find the next largest record. Look at the following example, I want to look up the corresponding date of quantity 954, now, I want it to return the date which has the higher value than 954 in the VLOOKUP, so Oct rather than Sep. In this article, I can talk about how to lookup next largest value and return its relative data in Excel.
To deal with this task, the following formulas may help you, please do as follows:
1. Please enter this array formula: =INDEX(B2:B13,MATCH(TRUE,A2:A13>D5,0)) into a blank cell where you want to put the result, see screenshot:
2. Then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together to get the correct result you need as follows:
1. Excepting the above array formula, here also is another normal formula: =INDEX(B2:B13,MATCH(D5,A2:A13)+(LOOKUP(D5,A2:A13)<>D5)), after typing this formula and just press Enter key to find the next largest value and return its corresponding value.
2. In the above formulas, B2:B13 is the data range that you want to extract the matched value, A2:A13 is the data range including the criterion that you want to lookup from , and D5 indicates the criteria you want to get its relative value of adjacent column, you can change them to your need.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!