How to quickly combine text and date into same cell in Excel?
Supposing you have two columns which one contains text strings and another is filled with date, now, you want to combine these two columns to get the following screenshot result. Most of us may concatenate the two columns directly, but the date will be displayed as integer number. This article, I will introduce some effective methods to correctly combine text and date into one cell in Excel.
The following formulas may help you to combine the text column and date column into one, please do as follows:
1. Enter this formula =A2&" " &TEXT(B2,"mm/dd/yyyy") into a blank cell besides your data, see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle down to the cells to apply this formula, and you can see, the text and date have been combined together in one cell.
1. Except the above formula, here is another formula also can help you: =CONCATENATE(A2," ",TEXT(B2,"mm/dd/yyyy")), please choose one you like.
2. As you can see, I combine the text and date with a space, if you like to separate the text and date with other punctuations, you can type the punctuation between the double quotation marks as you need. For example, to combine the text and date with a dash：=A2&" - " &TEXT(B2,"mm/dd/yyyy").
3. If there are date and date columns need to be combined, please apply any of the following formulas:
=TEXT(A2,"mm/dd/yyy")&" - " &TEXT(B2,"mm/dd/yyyy")
=CONCATENATE(TEXT(A2,"MM/DD/YYYY")," - ",TEXT(B2,"MM/DD/YYYY"))
Here is a powerful feature called Kutools for Excel, with its Combine utility, you can merge multiple columns, rows and cells into one cell without losing data with several clicks.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the data range that you want to combine.
2. Click Kutools > Merge & Split > Combine Rows, Columnc or Cells without Losing Data, see screenshot:
3. In the Combine Columns or Rows dialog box, do the following operations:
- (1.) Select Combine columns option;
- (2.) Choose a separator for your combined contents you need under the Specify a separator section;
- (3.) Specify the place for your result, you can put them in the left cell or the right cell;
- (4.) Choose one option for your data range, you can keep or delete other cells after combining the cell contents, and you can also merge those combined cells.
4. After finishing the settings, click OK to close this dialog, and the data have been combined into one cell which separated by your specified separator, see screenshots:
|Keep contents of combined cells||Delete contents of combined cells||Merge the combined cells|
Note: This utility also can be applied to combining two date cells.
With the Combine function, you can finish the following problems quickly and conveniently.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!