How to quickly combine text and date into same cell in Excel?
Supposing you have two columns which one contains text strings and another is filled with date, now, you want to combine these two columns to get the following screenshot result. Most of us may concatenate the two columns directly, but the date will be displayed as integer number. This article, I will introduce some effective methods to correctly combine text and date into one cell in Excel.
Combine Columns / Rows / cells into separate columns / rows and one single cell:
With Kutools for Excel’s Combine utility, you can quickly combine multiple columns, rows or range of cells into separated columns, rows or single cell as you need.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download and free trial Now!
The following formulas may help you to combine the text column and date column into one, please do as follows:
1. Enter this formula =A2&" " &TEXT(B2,"mm/dd/yyyy") into a blank cell besides your data, see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle down to the cells to apply this formula, and you can see, the text and date have been combined together in one cell.
1. Except the above formula, here is another formula also can help you: =CONCATENATE(A2," ",TEXT(B2,"mm/dd/yyyy")), please choose one you like.
2. As you can see, I combine the text and date with a space, if you like to separate the text and date with other punctuations, you can type the punctuation between the double quotation marks as you need. For example, to combine the text and date with a dash：=A2&" - " &TEXT(B2,"mm/dd/yyyy").
3. If there are date and date columns need to be combined, please apply any of the following formulas:
=TEXT(A2,"mm/dd/yyy")&" - " &TEXT(B2,"mm/dd/yyyy")
=CONCATENATE(TEXT(A2,"MM/DD/YYYY")," - ",TEXT(B2,"MM/DD/YYYY"))
Here is a powerful feature called Kutools for Excel, with its Combine utility, you can merge multiple columns, rows and cells into one cell without losing data with several clicks.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the data range that you want to combine.
2. Click Kutools > Combine, see screenshot:
3. In the Combine Columns or Rows dialog box, do the following operations:
- (1.) Select Combine columns option;
- (2.) Choose a separator for your combined contents you need under the Specify a separator section;
- (3.) Specify the place for your result, you can put them in the left cell or the right cell;
- (4.) Choose one option for your data range, you can keep or delete other cells after combining the cell contents, and you can also merge those combined cells.
4. After finishing the settings, click OK to close this dialog, and the data have been combined into one cell which separated by your specified separator, see screenshots:
|Keep contents of combined cells||Delete contents of combined cells||Merge the combined cells|
Note: This utility also can be applied to combining two date cells.
With the Combine function, you can finish the following problems quickly and conveniently.
Recommended Productivity Tools
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 8 months ago1-Aug-18 ~ Rose
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHi,
I have doubt... One cell Value is 5 Years, 3 Months, 25 Days and another cell value is 4 Years,5 Months,05 Days . I need to total in next cell (9 Years,8 Months,30 Days). Please anyone help... I need formula in excel
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHi
I have a formulae for date in cell A2 = Today()-Day(Today()), which gives me the last day of previous month whenever I open my spreadsheet. Now in cell B2 I want a first date for current month with static number 01 at the end. Eg.
B2= 8/1/2016 01
How to derive B2 date with 01 at the end. Currently for B2 I am using EOMONTH(A2,0) which gives me 8/1/2016 but I am not able to input 01 at the end of the date with any formula, it converts the date in to a number.