How to quickly combine text and date into same cell in Excel?
Supposing you have two columns which one contains text strings and another is filled with date, now, you want to combine these two columns to get the following screenshot result. Most of us may concatenate the two columns directly, but the date will be displayed as integer number. This article, I will introduce some effective methods to correctly combine text and date into one cell in Excel.
Combine text and date into one cell with formulas
Combine text and date into one cell with Kutools for Excel
Combine Columns / Rows / cells into separate columns / rows and one single cell:
With Kutools for Excel’s Combine utility, you can quickly combine multiple columns, rows or range of cells into separated columns, rows or single cell as you need.
The following formulas may help you to combine the text column and date column into one, please do as follows:
1. Enter this formula =A2&" " &TEXT(B2,"mm/dd/yyyy") into a blank cell besides your data, see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle down to the cells to apply this formula, and you can see, the text and date have been combined together in one cell.
1. Except the above formula, here is another formula also can help you: =CONCATENATE(A2," ",TEXT(B2,"mm/dd/yyyy")), please choose one you like.
2. As you can see, I combine the text and date with a space, if you like to separate the text and date with other punctuations, you can type the punctuation between the double quotation marks as you need. For example, to combine the text and date with a dash：=A2&" - " &TEXT(B2,"mm/dd/yyyy").
3. If there are date and date columns need to be combined, please apply any of the following formulas:
=TEXT(A2,"mm/dd/yyy")&" - " &TEXT(B2,"mm/dd/yyyy")
=CONCATENATE(TEXT(A2,"MM/DD/YYYY")," - ",TEXT(B2,"MM/DD/YYYY"))
Here is a powerful feature called Kutools for Excel, with its Combine utility, you can merge multiple columns, rows and cells into one cell without losing data with several clicks.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. |
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the data range that you want to combine.
2. Click Kutools > Combine, see screenshot:
3. In the Combine Columns or Rows dialog box, do the following operations:
- (1.) Select Combine columns option;
- (2.) Choose a separator for your combined contents you need under the Specify a separator section;
- (3.) Specify the place for your result, you can put them in the left cell or the right cell;
- (4.) Choose one option for your data range, you can keep or delete other cells after combining the cell contents, and you can also merge those combined cells.
4. After finishing the settings, click OK to close this dialog, and the data have been combined into one cell which separated by your specified separator, see screenshots:
| || || |
|Keep contents of combined cells ||Delete contents of combined cells ||Merge the combined cells |
| || || |
Note: This utility also can be applied to combining two date cells.
Click to know more details about this Combine function of Kutools for Excel.
With the Combine function, you can finish the following problems quickly and conveniently.
Merge and Combine Columns without Losing Data in Excel
Merge and Combine Rows without Losing Data in Excel
How to combine cells into a cell with space, commas and semicolon in Excel?
Download and free trial Kutools for Excel Now !
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!