How to add text in middle of selected cells in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of data composed with a beginning letter G and other numbers, and now you want to add another letter D after the first letter G to the whole list. See below screenshot shown.
How can you do to achieve this? For adding the letter to cells one by one seems to waste time during your work. In this article, we will show you how to add text in middle of selected cells in Excel with efficient methods.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
In this section, we will provide you the formula to add text in middle of selected cells. Please do as follows.
1. This method should be done with a help column. Select the blank cell which adjacent to the original data, here I select cell B2.
2. Copy and paste formula =LEFT(A2,1) & "D" & MID(A2,2,100) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
1). In the formula, number 1 means that the text will be added after the first character of the cell.
2). The number 2 and 100 indicate that the characters from second to hundredth of the original cell will be added after the new inserted text.
3). If you want to add text after the second character, please change the number 1 to 2, and 2 to 3 in the formula.
4). And the character “D” is the text you will add to the cell. Please change it based on your needs.
3. Select the cell B2, drag the Fill Handle down to the cell which you want to cover with this formula.
You can see the text is added in the middle of cells in the whole list.
Tips: Besides the above formula, you can also apply this formula =REPLACE(A2,2,0,"D"), (the number 2 indicates the location where you want to insert the text, and the letter D refers to the text that you need to add, you can change them to your need) , then press Enter key to get the result.
Besides, you can add text in middle of selected cells with VBA code.
1. Please press Alt + F11 to open the Microsoft Visual Basic Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste below VBA code into the Code editor.
VBA code: Add text to a list of data after first character
Sub AddString() Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type: = 8) For Each Rng In WorkRng Rng.Value = VBA.Left(Rng.Value, 1) & "D" & VBA.Mid(Rng.Value, 2, VBA.Len(Rng.Value) - 1) Next End Sub
3. Press F5 key to run the code, and in the popping up KutoolsforExcel dialog box, select the range you want to add text to, and finally click the OK button.
Now the specified text is added after the first character of the selected cells.
Note: In the above code, you will insert a specific value after the first character within the cell, you can change the number 1 and 2 to the number 2 and 3 if adding the text after the second character in this script VBA.Left(Rng.Value, 1) & "D" & VBA.Mid(Rng.Value, 2, VBA.Len(Rng.Value) - 1),and the letter D is the new text you want to insert.
We have to admit that the above two methods are inconvenient for us. Here I will show you the Add Text utility of Kutools for Excel, with this utility, you can easily specify the middle position of the list, and then add the certain text to that position of the whole list at the same time.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the list you want to add text in the middle of cells, and then click Kutools > Text > Add Text. See screenshot:
2. In the Add Text dialog box, enter the text you want to add to cells in the Text box, specify the position where you want to add the text by checking the Specify option (here I enter number 1), then click the OK button. (You can instantly preview the adding result in the right box)
Note: For adding text in multiple positions of selected cell at once, you can specify the positions with comma separating in the Specify box. See screenshot:
Now the specified text is added after the first letter in the selected list.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!