How to add text in middle of selected cells in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of data composed with a beginning letter G and other numbers, and now you want to add another letter D after the first letter G to the whole list. See below screenshot shown.
How can you do to achieve this? For adding the letter to cells one by one seems to waste time during your work. In this article, we will show you how to add text in middle of selected cells in Excel with efficient methods.
In this section, we will provide you the formula to add text in middle of selected cells. Please do as follows.
1. This method should be done with a help column. Select the blank cell which adjacent to the original data, here I select cell B2.
2. Copy and paste formula =LEFT(A2,1) & "D" & MID(A2,2,100) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
- 1). In the formula, number 1 means that the text will be added after the first character of the cell.
- 2). The number 2 and 100 indicate that the characters from second to hundredth of the original cell will be added after the new inserted text.
- 3). If you want to add text after the second character, please change the number 1 to 2, and 2 to 3 in the formula.
- 4). And the character “D” is the text you will add to the cell. Please change it based on your needs.
3. Select the cell B2, drag the Fill Handle down to the cell which you want to cover with this formula. You can see the text is added in the middle of cells in the whole list.
Tips: Besides the above formula, you can also apply this formula =REPLACE(A2,2,0,"D"), (the number 2 indicates the location where you want to insert the text, and the letter D refers to the text that you need to add, you can change them to your need) , then press Enter key to get the result.
Add text to the beginning or end of all selected cells in Excel:
Kutools for Excel's Add Text utility can quickly add specified text to the beginning or end of cells in a selection in Excel.
Download the full feature 30-day free trail of Kutools for Excel now!
Besides, you can add text in middle of selected cells with VBA code.
1. Please press Alt + F11 to open the Microsoft Visual Basic Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste below VBA code into the Code editor.
VBA code: Add text to a list of data after first character
Sub AddString() Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type: = 8) For Each Rng In WorkRng Rng.Value = VBA.Left(Rng.Value, 1) & "D" & VBA.Mid(Rng.Value, 2, VBA.Len(Rng.Value) - 1) Next End Sub
3. Press F5 key to run the code, and in the popping up KutoolsforExcel dialog box, select the range you want to add text to, and finally click the OK button.
Now the specified text is added after the first character of the selected cells.
Note: In the above code, you will insert a specific value after the first character within the cell, you can change the number 1 and 2 to the number 2 and 3 if adding the text after the second character in this script VBA.Left(Rng.Value, 1) & "D" & VBA.Mid(Rng.Value, 2, VBA.Len(Rng.Value) - 1),and the letter D is the new text you want to insert.
We have to admit that the above two methods are inconvenient for us. Here I will show you the Add Text utility of Kutools for Excel, with this utility, you can easily specify the middle position of the list, and then add the certain text to that position of the whole list at the same time.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the list you want to add text in the middle of cells, and then click Kutools > Text > Add Text. See screenshot:
2. In the Add Text dialog box, enter the text you want to add to cells in the Text box, specify the position where you want to add the text by checking the Specify option (here I enter number 1), then click the OK button. (You can instantly preview the adding result in the right box)
Note: For adding text in multiple positions of selected cell at once, you can specify the positions with comma separating in the Specify box. See screenshot:
Now the specified text is added after the first letter in the selected list.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!