How to combine cells and keep the cell formatting in Excel?
Supposing the cells you want to combine containing percentage formatting. For combining them and keep the percentage formatting in the result combined cell, what would you do? Browse this article, you will gain several methods of combining cells and keeping the cell formatting as well in Excel.
As below screenshot shown, cell A1 contains a name Nana, B1 contains 75.62%, now I want to combine A1 and B1 to get the combined result as Nana 75.62% and then locate it in cell C1. Please do as follows.
1. Click to select cell C1, and then copy and paste formula =A1 & " " & TEXT(B1,"0.00%") into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. You can see two cells are combined and the percentage formatting is kept.
Note: B1 is the cell contains the percentage formatting, please change the cell references as you need.
Easily combine cells and keep the cell formatting in Excel:
The Kutools for Excel's Combine Rows Columns or Cells without Losing Data utility will help you easily combine all cells in selected range and keep the cell formatting in Excel as the below screenshot shown. Download and try it now! ( 30-day free trail)
The first method is only applied to the percentage formatting, if there are other kinds of data formatting in your worksheet, the above method will not work. Actually, you can apply the Word document to solve this problem.
For example, I have the following two columns of values, the first column is text, and the values in second column are applied with some formatting. See screenshot:
To combine the two columns but keeping the data formatting, please do with the following steps:
1. Copy these two column data from your worksheet.
2. Then open a new Word document and paste the data into it. (Normally, the data will be pasted as table format)
3. Select the table and then click Layout tab under the Table Tools, then click Convert to Text in the Data group, see screenshot:
4. In the Convert Table to Text dialog box, choose a separator to separate the combined contents, you can use Commas or other specific characters, such as space, semicolon, dot marks and son on. (Note: please don’t use Paragraph marks and Tabs), see screenshot:
5. Then click OK to close this dialog, copy the converted range data and paste to your worksheet where you want to put the result, and you will get the following result:
The second method needs to toggle between Excel and Word frequently. Here, I will introduce you a powerful tool- Kutools for Excel, its Combine utility can easily combine cells and keep different kinds of cell formatting in Excel.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the cells you want to combine, and click Kutools > Merge & Split > Combine Rows, Columns or Cells without Losing Data.
Note: If you want to place the result in a new column or row, you need to select one more column besides the original data. Here I select one more column.
2. In the Combine Columns or Rows dialog box:
(6) Click the OK button.
3. Now the selected cells are combined. See screenshots:
This Combine utility of Kutools for Excel can combine and keep not only percentage formatting, but also date formatting and so on.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 8 months agoI am attempting to create an ID number similar to how a SSN might be laid out. It's for a school. I have a prefix code for one category, a middle code for a second category and so on. I can concat but instead of getting 001-001, I get 1-1. I know I can do the 000 in formating to force it to 001 but when I concat, it looses that. How can i get it up?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHi. Does the combine work with columns with different font sizes?
like one is in 14 calibri size and the other at 22, can I combine them and keep both sizings one under the other?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoHow do I make this function work for font colors? I want to combine multiple cells that have blue and red font coloring. But when I combine with Kutools in, the text font colors turn to black. How do I keep the blue and red lettering but merge to one cell?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agouse VBA, u can read individual cells and their formats and combine
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoHi Samir.
Your suggestion has been fed back to the technical department. Hope the proposal can be adopted and updated in the next version.
Please wait for the further feedback.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHi any update on this?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHi Nicky,
It is technically impossible to achieve yet. Sorry can help you with that.