Count cells beginning with specific letter with formulas
The following formulas may help you to get the number of cells which cell value starts with the letter B, and does not start with the letter B.
1. Enter any of the following formulas into a blank cell:
Note: In the above formulas, A2:A15is the data range that you want to count, and the letter B is the criteria that you want to count begin with.
2. Then press Enter key, and you will get the correct counting result you need, see screenshot:
Tips: If you want to count the number of cells which cell values does not begin with the letter B, you can apply this formula:=SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(A2:A15)<>"B")*(A2:A15<>"")), and press Enter key to get the result. See screenshot:
Count cells beginning with specific letter with Kutools for Excel
If you are tired of the formulas, here, I will talk about you an easy and powerful tool—Kutools for Excel, with its Select Specific Cells utility, you can not only count the cells start with letter B but also select these specific cells.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.
After installing Kutools for Excel, do with steps:
1. Select the data range you want to use.
2. Click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, choose Cell from the Selection type, and specify Begins with or Does not begin with from the drop down list under Specific type, and then enter the specific letter you want to count, see screenshot:
4. Then click Ok or Apply, a prompt box will pop out to tell you the number of cells which meet your condition, and they will be selected as well. See screenshot:
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.