How to quickly create unique list (remove duplicates) from a given column in Excel?
Suppose you have a list of names with duplicates, and now you want to create a new list of unique names from this given column, how could you solve it in Excel? Now this tutorial introduces some tricks that can help you quickly create a unique list from a give column.
In Excel, you can apply the Advanced Filter function to filter out the unique data from a list.
1. Click Data > Advanced. See screenshot:
2. In the Advanced Filter dialog, do as below:
(1) Check Copy to another location option and Unique records only option;
(2) Select the duplicates column to List range text box, and select a cell to put the unique list to Copy to text box.
3. Click OK. Now the unique list has been created. See screenshot:
In Excel, you also can use VBA code to create a unique list from a given column.
1. Press Alt + F11 to show Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, and click Insert > Module, then copy and paste below VBA to the new Module window.
VBA: Create unique list from given column.
Sub CreateUniqueList() 'Updateby20150519 Dim Rng As Range Dim InputRng As Range, OutRng As Range xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set InputRng = Application.Selection Set InputRng = Application.InputBox("Range :", xTitleId, InputRng.Address, Type:=8) Set OutRng = Application.InputBox("Out put to (single cell):", xTitleId, Type:=8) Set OutRng = OutRng.Range("A1") InputRng.AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, CopyToRange:=OutRng, Unique:=True End Sub
2. Press F5 key or Run button to enable the VBA code, and in the popping dialog, select the list with duplicates and click OK, then select a cell to put the result. See screenshots:
3. Now, a list with unique names has been created.
Actually, with Select Duplicate & Unique Cells feature of Kutools for Excel, you also can quickly create a unique list from a given column.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, you can use Select Duplicate & Unique Cells.
1. Select the list (It’s optional to select the column header) you want to create unique list based on, and click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the popping dialog, check All unique (Including 1st duplicates) option under Rule section. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, and then a dialog pops out to remind you the number of selected cells. See screenshot:
4. Click OK, then press Ctrl + C to copy the selected cells and select a cell and press Ctrl + V keys to put the result.
Tip: If you want to select values in case sensitive, you can check Case sensitive option in the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog.
With Select Duplicate & Unique Cells feature, you can only select duplicates including first one, select only duplicates except first one, and select all unique values except first one. Get it now and easy your Excel work.