How to remove duplicates but keep first instance in Excel?
Let’s say, there is a list of values in your worksheet which contains some duplicates, now, you need to remove the duplicates but keep the first row where the duplicated value is found. In this article, we will show you two methods of removing duplicates but keep first instance in Excel.
You can run the below VBA code to remove duplicates but keep first instance in a column.
1. Press Alt + F11 to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications dialog box.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications dialog box, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the below code into the code window.
VBA code: remove duplicates but keep first instance
Sub TrimExcessSpaces() Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range Dim dic As Variant Set dic = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary") On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type: = 8) Set WorkRng = WorkRng.Columns(1) For Each Rng In WorkRng.Cells dic(Rng.Value) = "" Next WorkRng.ClearContents WorkRng.Range("A1").Resize(UBound(dic.Keys) + 1, 1) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(dic.Keys) End Sub
3. Press F5 key to run the code. In the popping up KutoolsforExcel dialog box, select the range you want to remove duplicates, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now you can see all duplicate rows except the first records are removed from the selected column range. See screenshot:
Beside the VBA code, you can use the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells utility of Kutools for Excel add-in to easily remove duplicates but keep the first instances in Excel.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the range you want to remove duplicates but keep first instances. Then click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells.
2. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, select the Duplicates (Except 1st one) option, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
3. In the following Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, click OK.
4. Now the duplicates are selected except the first instances, please press the Delete key to remove the selected duplicates.
Note: If you want to delete the duplicate rows, you just need to check Select entire rows option in the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog box, and then apply the Delete command of the right click menu to remove the entire duplicate rows.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!