How to count if cells are nonblank and not equal to specific word in Excel?
In this case, you need to count the number of the cells which are nonempty and not equal to a specific word in Excel. Take instance, you have to count the number of cells which are nonempty and not equal to Yes in range A1:E9 as below screenshot shown. The general COUNTIF formula counts the cells not equal to Yes, but the counting result doesn’t exclude the blank cells. Now this tutorial introduces other tricks to quickly count the cells which both are nonblank and not equal to a specific word in Excel.
Count times a word(count times of a specific word appears in a single cell or a range .）
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Here I tell you a combined COUNTIF formula to count cells.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance working efficiency and save working time.|
Select a blank cell and type this formula =COUNTIF(A1:E9,"<>YES")-COUNTBLANK(A1:E9) (in this formula, A1: E9 is the range you want to count cells, and YES is the criteria, you can change them as you need), press Enter key, now the correct counting result excluding blank cell is got:
If you not only want to count the number of cells which are nonblank and not equal to a specific word, but also want to identify the cells, you can use Kutools for Excel’s Select Specific Cells utility.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the data range needed to be count and click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog, select Cell in Selection type section, select Does not equal from Specific type list, and type Yes into the next textbox. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, and a dialog pops out to tell you the counting result. Click OK. Now the cells meeting the criteria are selected at once. See screenshots:
|If you are interested in this addi-in, click here to download the 60-days free trial.|