How to count if cells are nonblank and not equal to specific word in Excel?
In this case, you need to count the number of the cells which are nonempty and not equal to a specific word in Excel. Take instance, you have to count the number of cells which are nonempty and not equal to Yes in range A1:E9 as below screenshot shown. The general COUNTIF formula counts the cells not equal to Yes, but the counting result doesn’t exclude the blank cells. Now this tutorial introduces other tricks to quickly count the cells which both are nonblank and not equal to a specific word in Excel.
Here I tell you a combined COUNTIF formula to count cells.
Select a blank cell and type this formula =COUNTIF(A1:E9,"<>YES")-COUNTBLANK(A1:E9) (in this formula, A1: E9 is the range you want to count cells, and YES is the criteria, you can change them as you need), press Enter key, now the correct counting result excluding blank cell is got:
If you not only want to count the number of cells which are nonblank and not equal to a specific word, but also want to identify the cells, you can use Kutools for Excel’s Select Specific Cells utility.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the data range needed to be count and click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog, select Cell in Selection type section, select Does not equal from Specific type list, and type Yes into the next textbox. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, and a dialog pops out to tell you the counting result. Click OK. Now the cells meeting the criteria are selected at once. See screenshots:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!