How to import / copy data from closed workbook into current workbook?
It is easy for us to copy data from an opened worksheet and paste them to another opened workbook, but, have you ever tried to import data from a closed workbook into an opened workbook? This article, I will talk about how to import data from a closed workbook.
The following VBA code may help you copy data from a workbook without opening it to active opened workbook, please do with following steps:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Import data from closed workbook into current workbook
Sub ImportDatafromcloseworkbook() 'Update 20150707 Dim xWb As Workbook Dim xAddWb As Workbook Dim xRng1 As Range Dim xRng2 As Range Set xWb = Application.ActiveWorkbook xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" With Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogOpen) .Filters.Clear .Filters.Add "Excel 2007-13", "*.xlsx; *.xlsm; *.xlsa" .AllowMultiSelect = False .Show If .SelectedItems.Count > 0 Then Application.Workbooks.Open .SelectedItems(1) Set xAddWb = Application.ActiveWorkbook Set xRng1 = Application.InputBox(prompt:="Select source range", Title:=xTitleId, Default:="A1", Type:=8) xWb.Activate Set xRng2 = Application.InputBox(prompt:="Select destination cell", Title:=xTitleId, Default:="A1", Type:=8) xRng1.Copy xRng2 xRng2.CurrentRegion.EntireColumn.AutoFit xAddWb.Close False End If End With End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and in the File Open window, select the workbook that you want to import its data, see screenshot:
4. Then click Open button, and KutoolsforExcel dialog box pops out to remind you selecting a range of data that you want to import to other workbook, see screenshot:
5. And then click OK button, in the popped out dialog box, select a cell where you want to put the data, see screenshot:
6. And click OK, the data in the closed workbook has been imported into the current workbook.
The VBA code may be somewhat difficult for our Excel beginner, so, here, I will recommend you a handy tool-Kutools for Excel, with its Insert File at Cursor feature, you can insert the whole content of a worksheet from a closed workbook quickly and easily.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Click Enterprise > Import / Export > Insert File at Cursor, see screenshot:
2. In the Insert File at Cursor dialog box, do the following operations:
(1.) Click button to select a cell where you want to put the imported data;
(2.) Click button to select the workbook that you want to import its data.
Note: Value only (no formulas): If you check this option, only the value will be imported, and the formulas won't be imported.
Do not transfer formatting: Checking this option will import the data into the worksheet without formatting.
3. Then click OK, if there are more than one worksheets into the workbook, a Select a Worksheet dialog box will pop out, please specify a worksheet that you want to import the data, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK button, the data in the selected worksheet has been imported into the current workbook.
Recommended Productivity Tools
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 months agoFuncionou a primeira vez que tentei.. Agora por algum motivo não esta funcionando mais..Parece que esta copiando os valores apenas. Quando faço alteração de algum dado na planilha, nao esta mudando na outra.. o que devo fazer?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThanks for the awesome trick here. I managed to get the coding work with my current project. My question is how can I set ''destination cell'' default to range ''A5'' without popping out InputBox
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThanks for the above.
I'm trying to use VBA but when I reach to step #3:
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and in the File Open window, select the workbook that you want to import its data
I can't "see" the file I need to import the data from! the folder doesn't show that file!
What can I do?