How to filter values by first letter or last character in Excel?
For filtering values by first letter or last character in Excel, here we provide three methods. Please do as below tutorial shows.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
You can filter values by first letter or last character with the Filter function in Excel.
1. Select the entire column which you want to filter values by first letter or last character, and then click Data > Filter. See screenshot:
2. Now a little drop-down icon is displayed on the first cell of the selected column. Please click the drop-down icon > Text Filters > Begins With / Ends With. See screenshot:
1. If you want to filter values by the first letter, please click the Begins With option in step 2. In the popping up Custom AutoFilter dialog box, enter the first letter you want to filter by into the blank box after begins with, and finally click the OK button.
For example, you type the letter “a” into the box, after clicking the OK button, all values begin with letter “a” will be filtered out immediately.
2. For filtering values by the last character, please click Ends With option in step 2. And in the popping up Custom AutoFilter dialog box, enter the last character you want to filter all values by into the blank box after ends with, and finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
After clicking the OK button, all values ends with the specified character will be filtered out at once.
You can also use VBA code to filter values by first letter or last character in Excel.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic Application window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic Application window, click Insert > Module. And then copy and paste below code into the Module window.
VBA code: Filter by first letter or last character
Sub filterbyletter() Dim rng01 As Range Set rng01 = [A1:A8] rng01.Parent.AutoFilterMode = False rng01.Columns(1).AutoFilter Field: = 1, Criteria1: = "=a*", VisibleDropDown: = False End Sub
1. In the code, A1:A8 is the column range with values you want to filter. You can change it based on your needs.
2. a* means you are going to filter all values begin with letter a. And if you want to filter all values end with character a, please change a* to *a.
3. Press F5 key to run the code. And the values which meet the filtering criteria are filtered out immediately.
4. After running this code, you can clear the filter by clicking Data > Filter. See screenshot:
Besides, Kutools for Excel’s Super Filter utility can help you to filter values by first letter or last character in Excel. Please do as follows.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Click Enterprise > Super Filter to enable the Super Filter pane. See screenshot:
2. In the Super Filter pane, you need to:
A: click the button to select the range you want to filter. Here we select column B;
B: Specify the selected column header in the first drop-down list;
C: Select Text in the second drop-down list;
D: Select Begins With or Ends With in the third drop down list;
E: Type the first letter or last character you need to filter by in the last box;
F: Click the Filter button to start filtering. See screenshot:
Then all values with specified first letter or last character are filtered out immediately.
1. There are And and Or relationships exist in this Super Filter utility.
2. This Super Filter utility allows you to combine multiple filtering conditions, and then filter values based on these conditions at the same time. See screenshot:
3. To cancel the filter and recover the data, please click Clear button.