How to lookup/find values in another workbook?
This article is talking about how to look up values and return data from another workbook, and how to find/search values from another workbook. Here I will introduce three solutions in detail.
- Vlookup data and return values from another workbook in Excel
- Vlookup data and return values from another closed workbook with VBA
For example you are creating a Fruit Purchase table in Excel, and now you need to vlookup the fruits from another workbook and return corresponding prices as below screenshots shown. Here I will guide you solve it with VLOOKKUP function in Excel.
1. Open both workbooks that you will vlookup values from and return values in.
2. Select a blank cell you will return price, type the formula =VLOOKUP(B2,[Price.xlsx]Sheet1!$A$1:$B$24,2,FALSE) into it, and then drag its Fill Handle for applying this formula to the range as you need.
(1) In above formula, B2 is the fruit that you will look up from another workbook, Price.xlsx indicates the file name of workbook you will look up from, Sheet1 means the sheet name that you will look up from, and A$1:$B$24 is the range that you will look up from. You can change them as you need.
(2) After closing the workbook you looked up from, the formula will automatically update to =VLOOKUP(B2,'W:\test\[Price.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$1:$B$24,2,FALSE), the W:\test\ is the saving path of workbook that you have looked up from.
So far, all prices have returned correctly as left screenshot shown. And these prices will update automatically if original workbook you looked up from changes.
It may be a litter confused to configure the saving path, filename, and worksheet in the VLOOKUP function. This method will introduce a VBA to solve it easily.
1. Press the Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click the Insert > Module, and then paste below VBA code into the opening module window.
VBA: Vlookup data and return values from another closed workbook
Note: This VBA will return values in a column which is 2 columns behind selected column. For example I select column B when applying this VBA, values will return in Column D. If you need to change the destination column, please find out the code xRg.Offset(0, 2).Formula = xString & GetColumn(xFCell.Column + 1) & "$" & xFCell.Row , and replace 2 to other number as you needs.
Private Function GetColumn(Num As Integer) As String If Num <= 26 Then GetColumn = Chr(Num + 64) Else GetColumn = Chr((Num - 1) \ 26 + 64) & Chr((Num - 1) Mod 26 + 65) End If End Function Sub FindValue() Dim xAddress As String Dim xString As String Dim xFileName As Variant Dim xUserRange As Range Dim xRg As Range Dim xFCell As Range Dim xSourceSh As Worksheet Dim xSourceWb As Workbook On Error Resume Next xAddress = Application.ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address Set xUserRange = Application.InputBox("Lookup values :", "Kutools for Excel", xAddress, Type:=8) If Err <> 0 Then Exit Sub Set xUserRange = Application.Intersect(xUserRange, Application.ActiveSheet.UsedRange) xFileName = Application.GetOpenFilename("Excel Files (*.xlsx), *.xlsx", 1, "Select a Workbook") If xFileName = False Then Exit Sub Application.ScreenUpdating = False Set xSourceWb = Workbooks.Open(xFileName) Set xSourceSh = xSourceWb.Worksheets.Item(1) xString = "='" & xSourceWb.Path & Application.PathSeparator & _ "[" & xSourceWb.Name & "]" & xSourceSh.Name & "'!$" For Each xRg In xUserRange Set xFCell = xSourceSh.Cells.Find(xRg.Value, , xlValues, xlWhole, , , False) If Not (xFCell Is Nothing) Then xRg.Offset(0, 2).Formula = xString & GetColumn(xFCell.Column + 1) & "$" & xFCell.Row End If Next xSourceWb.Close False Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Press the F5 key or click the Run button to run this VBA.
4. In the opening dialog box, please specify the data range that you will look up, and click the OK button.
5. Now please select the workbook where you will look up values in the opening Select a Workbook dialog box, and click the Open button.
Now all selected values are looked up in the specified closed workbook, and corresponding values are returned at specified column. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Excel Skills: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day! (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)