How to determine/check if date is a weekend in Excel?
Sometimes, you may need to determine if a date falls on a weekend in order to arrange your personal affairs. With this tutorial, you will learn how to determine or check if a given date is a weekend in Excel.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel/Office
For example, you would like the specified cell to be populated with TRUE if the given date falls on a weekend, and populated with FALSE if the date does not belong to a weekend, the following formula will help you.
1. Select a blank cell for placing the result, enter this formula =IF(WEEKDAY(A2,2)>5,TRUE,FALSE) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
2. Drag the Fill Handle to the cells you want to cover with this formula. Then you will get the result as below screenshot shown.
Note: If there are blank cells in the date range, it will be displayed TURE as well.
With the Apply Date Formatting utility of Kutools for Excel, you can easily change all given dates to day of week name for determining if date is a weekend in Excel. Please do as follows.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. If you don’t want to directly convert the original data, please copy and paste it to a new column which is adjacent to the original one. Select this new pasted data and click Kutools > Format > Apply Date Formatting. See screenshot:
2. In the Apply Date Formatting dialog box, select Wednesday or Wed in the Date formatting box, and then click the OK button.
Then you will get the result as below screenshot shown, and you can easily check if a specific date falls on weekend based on the date name.
- How to determine if a date falls between two dates or weekend in Excel?
- How to determine if a number or value is in a range in Excel?
- How to determine if date has passed in Excel?
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
300 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...