How to shuffle rows/columns/a range of cells randomly in Excel?
Supposing you have a range of cells, and now you want to shuffle the rows in a random order as below screenshot shown, how can you quickly and randomly shuffle them in Excel?
Quickly Sort or select cells/Rows/Columns randomly from a selection in Excel
|Kutools for Excel's Sort Range Randomly can quickly sort or select data randomly by cells or columns or rows. Click for full-featured 60 days free trial!|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
1. Select a list of cells next to you range, for instance, D1: D8, and then type this formula =RAND(), see screenshot:
2. Then press Ctrl + Enter. Now you can see there is a list of random data displayed.
3. Now you can go to Data tab, and select Sort smallest to largest or Sort largest to smallest as you need. See screenshot:
4. Then there is a popped dialog, and check Expand the selection option. And click Sort.
Till now the data range has been shuffled by rows randomly.
Then you can remove the formula cells.
However, if you want to shuffle a range of cells by columns or all cells as below screenshots shown, how can you solve it in Excel? Now go on next method, I will introduce a multifunctional tool for you to solve it easily.
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, there is a utility – Sort Range Randomly can shuffle your data by entire row, entire column, or all cells of range, also can select random cells, random columns or random rows from a range.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the range cells you want to shuffle randomly, and click Kutools > Range > Sort Range Randomly. See screenshot:
2. Then in the Sort Rand Randomly dialog, under Sort tab, please select the option you need.
3. Then click Ok or Apply.
Sort by entire rows
Sort by entire columns
Sort cells in the range
Sort cells in each row
Sort cells in each column
With Kutools for Excel’s Sort Range Randomly utility, you can select cells randomly in a range.