How to concatenate cells if same value exists in another column in Excel?
Advanced Combine Rows: easily combine cells if same value exists in another column
With Kutools for Excel's Advanced Combine Rows utility, you can easily combine cells in a column if same value exsits in another columns in Excel. See screenshot:
Concatenate cells if same value with formulas and filter
With the below formulas, you can concatenate corresponding cell contents if another column contains same value in Excel.
1. Select a blank cell besides the second column (here we select cell C2), enter formula =IF(A2<>A1,B2,C1 & "," & B2) into the formula bar, and then press the Enter key.
2. Then select cell C2, and drag the Fill Handle down to cells you need to concatenate.
3. Enter formula =IF(A2<>A3,CONCATENATE(A2,",""",C2,""""),"") into cell D2, and drag Fill Handle down to the rest cells.
4. Select cell D1, and click Data > Filter. See screenshot:
5. Click the drop-down arrow in cell D1, uncheck the (Blanks) box, and then click the OK button.
You can see the cells are concatenated if the first column values are same.
Note: To use the above formulas successfully, the same values in column A must be continuous.
Concatenate cells if same value with VBA code
Besides formula, in this section, we will show you how to use VBA code to concatenate cells if same value.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic Applications window, click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste below code into the Module window.
VBA code: concatenate cells if same values
Dim xCol As New Collection
Dim xSrc As Variant
Dim xRes() As Variant
Dim I As Long
Dim J As Long
Dim xRg As Range
xSrc = Range("A1", Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp)).Resize(, 2)
Set xRg = Range("D1")
On Error Resume Next
For I = 2 To UBound(xSrc)
xCol.Add xSrc(I, 1), TypeName(xSrc(I, 1)) & CStr(xSrc(I, 1))
On Error GoTo 0
ReDim xRes(1 To xCol.Count + 1, 1 To 2)
xRes(1, 1) = "No"
xRes(1, 2) = "Combined Color"
For I = 1 To xCol.Count
xRes(I + 1, 1) = xCol(I)
For J = 2 To UBound(xSrc)
If xSrc(J, 1) = xRes(I + 1, 1) Then
xRes(I + 1, 2) = xRes(I + 1, 2) & ", " & xSrc(J, 2)
xRes(I + 1, 2) = Mid(xRes(I + 1, 2), 2)
Set xRg = xRg.Resize(UBound(xRes, 1), UBound(xRes, 2))
xRg.NumberFormat = "@"
xRg = xRes
1. D1 in line Set xRg = Range("D1") means that the result will be placed in cell D1.
2. No and Combined Color in line xRes(1, 1) = "No" and xRes(1, 2) = "Combined Color" are the headers of concatenated columns. You can change them as you need.
3. Press the F5 key to run the code, then you will get the concatenated results in specified range.
Easily concatenate cells if same value with Kutools for Excel (several clicks)
If the above two methods are complicated for you, here we will show you the Advanced Combine Rows utility of Kutools for Excel. You can easily concatenate cells by comma, semicolon and so on if same values exist in another column.
Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.
1. Select the range with cells you need to concatenate, and then click Kutools > Content > Advanced Combine Rows. See screenshot:
2. In the Combine Rows Based on Column dialog box, you need to do as follows.
A. Select the column with same value you want to concatenate cells according to, and then click the Primary Key button.
B. Select the column you want to concatenate, click Combine button, and then specify a separator from the context menu (here we select Comma).
C. Click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now the cells are concatenated according to the primary key column.
Concatenate multiple cell values and add space or other delimiters between words:
With Kutools for Excel's Combine utility, you can quickly combine multiple rows, columns or cells into a column, row or a cell with a specific separator as you need in Excel. See screenshot:
Easily concatenate cells if same value with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
- More than
300 powerful advanced features, designed for
1500 work scenarios, increasing productivity by
70%, give you more time to take care of family and enjoy life.
- No longer need memorizing formulas and VBA codes, give your brain a rest from now on.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes, Complicated and repeated operations can be done in seconds,
- Reduce thousands of keyboard & mouse operations every day, say goodbye to occupational diseases now.
- 110,000 highly effective people and 300+ world-renowned companies' choice.
- 60-day full features free trial. 60-day money back guarantees. 2 years of free upgrade and support.
- Office Tab is designed for Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Other Office Applications: Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!