How to count cells/records by group in Excel?
For example you have a sales person table, and you want to group and count these sales persons by country as below screenshots shown. Here I will introduce two methods to solve this problem easily.
Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Combine Rows utility can help Excel users to batch sum, count, and average based on duplicate items in one column (the Fruit Column in our case), and then delete the duplicate rows based on this column (the Fruit Column) easily as below screenshot shown:
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
As you see, the sales persons in above table are unique. Therefore, we can list only unique countries and then count sales persons based on these unique countries with the COUNTIF function. Please do as follows:
1. Copy the Country column (which you will count by), and paste it to a blank column. In our case, we pasted the Country column in Column E.
2. Keep selecting the new pasted column, and click Data > Remove Duplicates.
3. In the opening Remove Duplicates dialog box, click the OK button.
Another dialog box comes out and shows how many duplicates have been removed. Just close this dialog box.
Till now we have listed the unique countries in the Column E.
4. Select a blank cell besides the unique country list, says Cell F2, enter the formula =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$24,E2) into it, and then drag this cell’s Fill Handle to apply this formula to the range as you need.
Note: In above formula, $A$1:$A$24 is the country column in original sales person table, and E2 is the country in the unique country list that you will count by.
So far we have counted these sales persons by country as below screenshot shown:
The second method will introduce Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Combine Rows utility to simplify your counting work, and batch count cells/records by groups with several clicks in Excel. Please do as follows:
Kutools for Excel - Combines more than 300 Advanced Functions and Tools for Microsoft Excel
1. Select the sales person table, and click Kutools > Content > Advanced Combine Rows. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Combine Rows Based on Column dialog box, please do as below screenshot shown:
(1) Select the Country column (the column you will count by), and click the Primary Key button;
(2) Select the Sales Person column (the column you will count), and click Calculate > Count.
(3) Set combining rules for other columns based on your needs.
3. Click the Ok button. Then you will see the sales persons have been counted by country as below screenshot shown: