How to count cells/records by group in Excel?
For example you have a sales person table, and you want to group and count these sales persons by country as below screenshots shown. Here I will introduce two methods to solve this problem easily.
As you see, the sales persons in above table are unique. Therefore, we can list only unique countries and then count sales persons based on these unique countries with the COUNTIF function. Please do as follows:
1. Copy the Country column (which you will count by), and paste it to a blank column. In our case, we pasted the Country column in Column E.
2. Keep selecting the new pasted column, and click Data > Remove Duplicates.
3. In the opening Remove Duplicates dialog box, click the OK button.
Another dialog box comes out and shows how many duplicates have been removed. Just close this dialog box.
Till now we have listed the unique countries in the Column E.
4. Select a blank cell besides the unique country list, says Cell F2, enter the formula =COUNTIF($A$1:$A$24,E2) into it, and then drag this cell’s Fill Handle to apply this formula to the range as you need.
Note: In above formula, $A$1:$A$24 is the country column in original sales person table, and E2 is the country in the unique country list that you will count by.
So far we have counted these sales persons by country as below screenshot shown:
The second method will introduce Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Combine Rows utility to simplify your counting work, and batch count cells/records by groups with several clicks in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Select the sales person table, and click Kutools > Merge & Split > Advanced Combine Rows. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Combine Rows Based on Column dialog box, please do as below screenshot shown:
(1) Select the Country column (the column you will count by), and click the Primary Key button;
(2) Select the Sales Person column (the column you will count), and click Calculate > Count.
(3) Set combining rules for other columns based on your needs.
3. Click the Ok button. Then you will see the sales persons have been counted by country as below screenshot shown:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!